Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning Guys,

This is a copy of the post that I entered earlier this month:

My friend Claire runs a '93/94 Taurus Station Wagon with the 2.5 litre V6 in it.

Still going strong at 130K, little rust considering it's used every winter in Wisconsin since new.

It's a lovely car and I enjoy driving her although being an auto, it's not too economical.

Some guy ran into her car this Spring and despite requiring a new left hand rear door and some rear panel damage, the insurance company paid her out just over $1000 to cover the repair cost with a local one man band bodyshop guy.

The insurance accessor said that the car was too nice to write off and valued it at around $2000

Not bad for a 15 year old car ......

I will get fotos of her up soon. She is a gorgeous light powder blue metallic and people stop and stare at the Taurus wherever she leaves it.

Paula

PS. Like me Claire's a car nut and has a lovely almost mint '84 Toyota Celica Supra in Silver..............Pictures to follow soon.

This is the thread that the post was on:

http://www.mx6.com/forums/lounge/218481-ford-abandons-mazda-control-20-stake-sale.html

Anyway as promised I will post the fotos in a moment below:

Paula

·
Registered
347 Posts
my best friend has an 85 supra that i gave him.. ( it was a pile of crap back then) it took him 2 years and some money and she lives again... i gotta say that thing is wicked!!!

i raced it with my 6 a few times... it kills the 6 off the line but is no match when you get upwards of 80+ mph... :D

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Claire's Taurus didn't have a 2.5 in it...methinks.

Pretty sure it would have had the 3.0 vulcan as used in probes, tempo/topaz's, Rangers...

It's the lower end GL model, if it was the LX, it would likely come with the 3.8 Essex like my old Taurus. The 2.5 was a DOHC V6 that was used in the later gen Taurus' and Contours/Mystiques stateside.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hiya,

You are quite correct honeybun.

See: Second-generation Ford Taurus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and: Ford Vulcan engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's why it's a bit of a gas guzzler ............:lol:

Take care

Paula

Claire's Taurus didn't have a 2.5 in it...methinks.

Pretty sure it would have had the 3.0 vulcan as used in probes, tempo/topaz's, Rangers...

It's the lower end GL model, if it was the LX, it would likely come with the 3.8 Essex like my old Taurus. The 2.5 was a DOHC V6 that was used in the later gen Taurus' and Contours/Mystiques stateside.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
One of the Canadian members just bought one of those recently. Apparently they move pretty quick.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Paula, i would absolutely love one of the "poor man's astons" MGB GT - great looking little vehicles with balls and potential!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hiya,

Hey that is exactly what they called the B GT in 1966 Road Tests.....:cool:

I have been lucky to own all these lovely MG's from new:

1966 Mineral Blue MG MGB GT
1969 Tartan Red MG MGB GT
1973 Glacier White MG MGB GT V8

Red, White and Blue ( Colours of our " Union Jack " national flag ) ..... Very patriotic of me .......;)

and then in 1982, I briefly owned a Ken Costello coverted MGB V8 roadster also in Glacier White producing around 210 bhp.

See: Ken Costello builds A Tiger in MG's Clothing (from The Sunday Times)

and Costello V8 profile, V8 Register, MG Car Club

Enjoy the articles.

Nite

Paula

PS. I picked up my V8 BGT on the day of announcement on August 15th 1973. I then drove her into London and I was stopped many times by people in the street who wanted to look and admire her. She really was an awesome car.

Paula, i would absolutely love one of the "poor man's astons" MGB GT - great looking little vehicles with balls and potential!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is an interesting article too.

See: MGB GT V8 Remembered: The History of MG's "Factory" MGB GT V8 Model

Paula

Hiya,

Red, White and Blue ( Colours of our " Union Jack " national flag ) ..... Very patriotic of me .......;)

and then in 1982, I briefly owned a Ken Costello coverted MGB V8 roadster also in Glacier White producing around 210 bhp.

Enjoy the articles.

Nite

Paula

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi again Guys,

My V8 is still around, I sold her in 1991.

She is still mint with circa 50K on the clock.

One day I intend to buy her back.....:)

The only mods that were done are as follows:

1. Webasto Folding Roof fitted.

2. Removal of one leaf from rear leaf springs and lower coil springs at front.

This made her handle really well and I still did not get any axle tramp when accelerating from a standstill.

In overdrive top the car was doing around 28mph per 1000 rpm and I often saw 5000 rpm = 140mph.

In direct top - 4th it did 23mph per 1000 rpm so it was very high geared.

You could even gradually ease away from a standstill in top, so it was like an auto. Not a practice that I did too often though.

Paula

Hiya,

Enjoy the articles.

Nite

Paula

PS. I picked up my V8 BGT on the day of announcement on August 15th 1973. I then drove her into London and I was stopped many times by people in the street who wanted to look and admire her. She really was an awesome car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts