Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might sound really dumb..... and I should know better knowing what I do about cars...... but here is my idea as it came to me a couple weeks ago......... telll me if im on crack here......

Would this work and why to my knowledge has it never been tried on any car ever?

Why not put an electrical turbine/fan in your air intake tubing after the filter with a variable speed adjusting with throttle pressure..... cuz then the more throttle then the more compression...... It would work through all the gears then...... wouldnt this work just like a SC or TC??? Only electrical????

If it works then its my idea and it is copyrighted..... ha HA..... and anyone who steals my idea before I try it (if it works) will be promptly hunted down and kicked in the balls.

Mike

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Been done: http://www.electricsupercharger.com/

A few thoughts on this. Rick_96PGT on probetalk lost an engine to one of these things when the nut holding the fan to the shaft came off and was ingested by the motor. I think the #6 piston did a face-plant with the nut embedded in it's head. So, questionable construction...choose your parts carefully.

Second, there's a difference, a big one, between a fan and a compressor. Look at a turbo or supercharger and look how close the blades of the compressor wheel (or rotors) sit to the housing. Look at the design of the blades of a turbo compressor. These aren't just angled bits of sheet metal deflecting air, they're carefully engineered to move it with minimal losses and maximal efficiency.

Third, think about how much power is drawn from your electrical system when a cooling fan comes on: the engine RPM even drops a bit due to alternator load while the motor spools up. If the motor you use is to move any kind of meaningful amount of air, it's going to require a substantial amount of power. Think about it: at 5500RPM, your engine is likely near 90% VE and is comsuming somewhere around 220 cubic feet per minute. This is alot of air for a little 12V fan to move. There's a reason why some turbos spin to more than 100,000RPM when moving enough air to make boost.

Having said all this, I think there's still some merit to these ideas though you'll never see massive power gains. They seem like a good way to undo the pumping losses of an inefficient intake setup for instance. If you're still interested in trying this, I might suggest some additional research, starting at http://www.electricjets.com/edf/edf-duct1.htm. Some of these ducted fans look perfect to try and some have some very respectable outputs. You'll need to look into speed controller electrics for them and I really don't know if their construction lends to the heat and vibration of underhood life. Might be a start though.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I might just try it...... and I might stick in a friendly little grille behind the turbine in the intake to catch debris..... Just in case...... fried pistons are no fun...... and as for the electronics..... Ive got it covered........ Im in school to become an electro-mechanical engineer. If I get a kit put together..... would anyone else like to purchase it...... I will keep you updated.

Mike

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I wouldnt trust those guys from the website..... claiming those gains..... besides, im looking for more extreme gains..... somewhere in the neighbourhood of 50 whp..... this will require some serious turbines......... hehe. Im not sure where Im gonna get a hold of them yet, but by using a voltage converter and an upgraded alternator, along with a newer battery, I should be able to get it done..... and all for under 250 or so..... depends...... And ill let ya know..... this will simply be a drop in in the joint after the filter or maybe in the TB elbow...... Im not sure what im gonna use for a turbine..... or turbinesssss...... hehe. Sequential..... less power more boost..... hehe...... All nice ideas...... Off to industrial supply places to look at whats available........ See ya!

Mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
i thought of that a while ago, yet ive thought of a
cheper and better way to get boost. i just have to test it
and get a patton. its a good idea and like to share it with
all of you but i dont want to put my idea out just yet.
late.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Interested in kit

I would be interested in that kit. I would probably want to see some results first though. Drop me a line. [email protected]

G

·
How it all works...............

turbo's compress air so that more o2 will fit per sq ft. Say "normal air has 5% o2 per/sqft a turbo compress this so in a sqft there will be say... 10% o2.

all a fan will due is push through more air that the engine will be unable to use effeciently.

It more technical than just pushing in more air. If it wasn't why woulndn't every one have a leaf blower hooked up to there intake:p !

·
Registered
100 Posts
:p can't believe someone still thinking things like this...

you might gain a little-not noticeable-power in low rpm.
the fan will help spooling the air easier ... but you still cannot gain any boost.. it just less restrictive , in low rpm

think of your hair dryer... when you cover the front, what happen ? the fan just keep turning... same idea

BUT !! when you go high rpm.. like 3000+ or so.. the air you intake actually turning the fan... instead spooling the air.
This will make your intake-air MORE restrictive when in high RPM...

you need some device that can 'keep' the air...

agree ? :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The idea is an interesting one..... but would require extensive power modifications as it would be incredibly drawing of power..... the turbines are not available as I know of that would suit the application..... Such as a vacuum pump fan that can actually generate pressure and compress air...... ha ha, hell, why not just hook up the air compressor from work..... its only the size of my car..... that would do the job.... ah hahahaha

If I find the right parts, I will be doing it... and it could get real freaky...... but fast...

Mike

·
Registered
140 Posts
Garret tubos is working with this teck. they took a small electric motor and attached it to the impeller housing. If done right its more efficient than a turbo. Your right about the cooling fans but they are a true modle for unefficiency, all they do is move uncontroled air. They need to turn big ass heavy blades so the motor needs to pull more amps to get them noving but once they start turning they aquire momentum and only draw a verry low amount of power. probably around a half a horse. 746watts = 1Hp.

The right electric motor would draw maby 300 Watts. Thats less parasidic loss than any turbo or supercharger could ever have. If you would go to the junk yard and get the biggest turbo you could find all you would need to do is take off the the compressor housing and atach the electic motor. Easyer saied than done. All the parts nesesary shuld be available at you local HVAC suply house.

I say use a junkyard turbo cuz it dosnt mater if the oil seals are bad cuz you dont reals need oil on acount of the fact that you wont have all the extra heat generated from the exaust. sizing the turbo isnty nesesary cuz it will run constantly so you wouldnt have any tubo lag. All you would realy need to spend money on is a blowoff valve.

·
Registered
26 Posts
ok a naturaly asprated motor consumes only so much air.
lets say it takes in 12.3sq of air, 13.3sq of air creates 1lb
of boost depending on the car. so if you push 17.3sq of air
into the intake you have 5lb of boost, all you have to do
is make up for the loss of gas like a hi flow pump and bigger
injectors. this is not an exact amount but you get the idea.

i did check out the electric supercharger and i think they
are on the right track but they need some work still.
also the motor rotates to slow like 22,000rpm only.

this is only mine and a few friends theory and a ruff explenation if you think of any other cool ideas just hit me up

late

·
Registered
140 Posts
yea, you dont get the same RPM with the electic motar as the exaust can produce, but if you use an oversized compressor you dont need all the RPMs. RPMs arnt the key factor, its CFM (cubic feet per min). The larger compressor wont need to spin as fast on acount of its greater CFM, so you double the size of the compressor and try gearing the moror and your problem is solved.

If you cant fint a tubo of your liking try the local buss depo/repair shop. A friend of mine works for Klien Busses and he said they always have junk turbos laying around. We wanted to try to put one on his PGT but we would probably need two smaller turbos to spool the big a$$ monster.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i didnt read all the replies... so this is prolly not even ehat yall are talking abou

www.spiralmax.com i think thats something like yall are talkin about

1 - 14 of 14 Posts