Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys please tell me whats wrong.. i was driving my car and all of a sudden i hear a nosie clickin noise in the engine... so i pulled over to the gas station to see what it was but i couldnt tell what it was.. then i decided to keep on driving it.. the noise got really loud like a real loud click clattering noise.. then the car died on me .. so i tried startin it but it wouldnt start.. it was like it was locked or something.( if that makes any sense) so i had it towed to the mechanic and they told me that my engine is bad..im hopin he doesnt know what hes talking about but i still have that lil slight hope that maybe hes wrong.. please guys let me know.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Was there oil in the engine? Any funny smells? Any smoke? Any visible holes in the engine block?...................

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah there was oil.. i had just changed to oil the weekend before..as for any holes in the engine block.. i guess i will ahve to check it out.. if there are any holes.. does that mean that the engine is bad?? also what is the cost to rebuild an engine.. ro should i just get a new one.. if thats the case

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
doesn't look like it's the fastest 6 anymore... HAHAHA!!! Just kdding, oil where it should not be is always bad. Take it to a dealership and have them look at if you can, just not some random mechanic. If you can't do that, I need more info on the noise to help. Did your car overheat by any chance too? Tell me what the mechanic said and I'll tell you if it could be correct or not. A mechanic should always say something more than: "you got a bad engine."

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i know it aint the fastest mx 6 in town no more:( when i started to hear the noise my car did overheat... i dont know why but it did.. maybe that has something to do with it... i dunno:confused:

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
yor o-rings probably failed. This explains the oil seeping out around the cams. It alos explains the overheating too. If it was a really hot day with a small pin-hole leak in your radiator system, the car begins to overheat. The rubber seals, o-rings, become very hot and after a while begin to solidify if they become to hot. Afte that oil begins t seep through them going where oil has never gone before (HAHAHA!). Have them do a pressure check on the coolant system and pistons. You might need a hose replaced and a couple of gaskets. It could me more serious like o-rings which by no means is cheap.

By the way, I had this exact same thing happen to me in a Mitsubishi Diamante. That's why I drive a 6 now! The clattering noise was most likely youyr pistons trying to move. The froze up and so did the car.

By the way could somebody who might be a bit more knowledgeable please respond either to tell me I'm a terrible car doctor or I'm somewhat right.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok heres somthing new.. the thumper or dumper.. im not sure what its called.. the main pulley.. the one that pulls everything.. that is locked.. it doesnt move.. i dunno if that has something do do with it.. if it is the o rings.. how much am i lookin at??? please.. ne help is appreciated

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
well if it is the o-rings it is very pricey. I think mitsu dealers quoted me around 1800-2000. The parts are cheap, it's the labor that is expensive. In fact, the o-rings are just little rubber seals that sit below the pistons i believe near the sump. It the labor to take your engine apart to get to them is the pain.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok so the thumper or dumper.. whatever is called has nothing to do with it???? cause that was what the mechanic told me.. and that i was gonna have to rebuild the whole engine or get a new one.. i was just hopin i dont have to resort to that

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
What happens when you hit the starter? Does the engine turn over?

By the way the pulley on the front of the engine is usually referred to as a harmonic balancer or damper. It should spin whenever you turn over the key with the starter.

Tyson

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nah it doesnt turn at all.. does this have anything to do with it?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Okay if the crankshaft pulley is not turning, tell me this: Is the starter motor spinning at all? (i.e. Does it make the normal sound when you turn the key).

Tyson

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nah it doesnt start at all.... its like something get locked.. it tries but nothing happens.. if that makes any sense.. im sorry if im not giving specific details.. i wish i could its just that right now the battery is dead cause the freakin mechanic left my radio on all nite so that drained my battery and my car is sittin in my garage now front in.. so its gonna be a mission for me to jump start it.. but still i really do appreciate all the help u guys r giving me.. i hope what i just told helps at all

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
mts... do you think the ignition coil is gone? I'm trying to follow your logic, but not seeing it.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Naah I am trying to see if the starter is physically spinning the engine over. You know, the sound you hear between the time you turn the key and the engine fires?

Your problem sounds physical, not electrical.... a clicking noise that got progressively louder, usually means something bad unfortunately.

Tyson

·
Registered
100 Posts
ok, if the crank pulley don't turn and the mechanic can't get get it to go with a braker bar, that means that the engine is seized. I know this because I work at an automotive shop, and I forgot to put oil in a lincoln towncar. this caused the engine to get to hot and it seized the engine. incase you don't know, metal expands when it gets hot if you are lucky and don't run the car to long, the engine will cool and it will be ok. ask the mechanic that the car is at to check and see if there is enough oil in the engine, and if you are lucky you might get the place that changed the oil to eat your bill. I suspect that maybe the clanking noise could have been your oil pump going out. this could have been caused by not enough oil, or by normal wear, how many miles do you have. did your oil light come on at all? this is about all of the info i can give you. if this is the case, then you will need a rebuild/new engine. this could ge as high as $3500 to 5000. see if the oil change was done incorrectly and maybe you can get someone to pay for it. check back with the mechanic and see if he has tried it with the engine cooled off, luckily for me this happened with that lincoln, the engine cooled and was able to start and run normally. if this is not the case, then your car's engine probably got hot enough to start welding internals together.

One of the guys that I work with know a guy that had a toyota supra and his engine seized(locked) up so hard that it locked that drive wheels. he went out the next morning and the car started just fine. cross your fingers and hope for the best

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
there was oil in the engine and he checked everything when the engine was cool. now as for changing the oil wrong.. how does someone go about doing ??? i thought it was a fairly easy process?? thanks 4 your help

·
Registered
100 Posts
well, let me rephrase. either putting in the wrong viscosity oil, or not putting in enough. it is a really easy process. its just sometimes you get distracted and you forget that there is no oil in the engine and you park the car and give it back to the customer. if this happened right after you had your oil changed, then thats what I would suspect. however if you have been driving it for a few days, that would be ruled out. I'd say that the only thing to do now is let the mechanic tear into the engine to find out what went wrong.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts