Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I got a DSM, feel free to yell at me.

Anyways, it's a fwd mtx w/upper intercooler piping, HKS bov, and cone filter running 10 psi.

I was coming home from work on the highway (60mph zone) doing the speed limit, when I see a yellow WRX wagon coming up pretty fast, so I sped up a little bit and when he got beside me, he started giving it WOT, and letting off.

Since it's a WRX with more hp than me, I waited untill he let off and I gave it WOT in 4th, and pulled about a carlength on him (I started 1/2 car behind) and stayed about 1/2 car ahead until about 120mph when we both let off.

After that, he gave me the:tup: and I did the same, and I went home to find out the next day that it's my neighbor's friend, that comes over quite often.

All he has done to his WRX is a downpipe running stock boost (14 I think) and he told me he ran a 13.7 on 15 psi with a 1.7 60'

I was happy with the way my car held up against him, especially because I granny shifted into 5th. And I'm really happy that I didn't break anything.

Alright let the bashing begin since I got a DSM.

Juggalo

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
I don't see much dsm bashing on here, although now that Rick never shows up anymore...:muhaha:
I actually like them.
The wrx was a wagon? That's a damn good time for an almost stock wagon..they should be in the mid to low 14's, shouldn't they? maybe I'm mistaken..

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
how did I miss the granny shifting? You should've double clutched, we all know it's faster.
And to add some actual content to this, Don't the wrx's lose a TON of their power high end? Not to take anything away from your talon, but the AWD system in them takes somewhere around 30% of the power I believe. There's a guy here with a wrx and a probe, and he said speeds above 100 his probe accelerates much faster. His probe is also crazy fast though.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
the wrx wagon is only 60-80lbs heavier than the sedan, so thats def a good race. i know the awd slows the high end down a considerable amount, but if you free up the exhaust you start to gain some back. they are def no slouch. my cousin has one, with basic bolt on upgrades and he is running consist 12's. thats pretty good if you ask me. i would love to be running 12's

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Juggalo said:
I was happy with the way my car held up against him, especially because I granny shifted into 5th. And I'm really happy that I didn't break anything.

Alright let the bashing begin since I got a DSM.

Juggalo
LOL, First race and your already happy you didnt break anything :). Well good run, and take care of the car, from what i have read, those things need all the care you can give.

-Bryce

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot to mention that the WRX also has a stock ported turbo aside from the downpipe.

And I am very well aware that AWD cars are not meant for top end racing, but the WRX has almost 30hp+ mods on me. I know that my [email protected] MX-6 would have lost to a WRX on the highway (I found out the hard way)

I want to save up to buy a 1st gen DSM so I could swap the 6 bolt in the 2nd gen, and put the 7 bolt (aka crankwalk) into the 1st gen and sell the first gen without losing any money. And then the mods can begin.

Juggalo

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm suprised your only running on 10psi dsm's are capable of much higher boost, my buddy's got a 94 and he peeks at 19psi,
thats a little high, but you should crank it up!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thesunwentout said:
I'm suprised your only running on 10psi dsm's are capable of much higher boost, my buddy's got a 94 and he peeks at 19psi,
thats a little high, but you should crank it up!
It's not really worth it on a the stock T25, I'll wait until I get the 1st gen 14B, and boost controller ($200 total) and I could "safely" run 15 psi.

For now stock boost will do

·
Registered
28 Posts
Juggalo Damn your lucky........ever since i got into accident ive been looking for one. a 95-99 eagle talon TSI or a 95-99 mitsubishi eclipse GST. Their hard to find especially 5 spd.........HOW MUCH DID YOU PAY FOR YOURS???????how many miles in it and 5spd????Thanks

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the old jojo69 said:
Juggalo Damn your lucky........ever since i got into accident ive been looking for one. a 95-99 eagle talon TSI or a 95-99 mitsubishi eclipse GST. Their hard to find especially 5 spd.........HOW MUCH DID YOU PAY FOR YOURS???????how many miles in it and 5spd????Thanks
I bought it from a really good friend of mine for $3000, he was desperatly selling it, so he wouldn't lose a $1000 non refundable deposit on a 1990 AWD Talon (run's mid 13's) So I am really lucky to get it that cheap, but it does need the bumper's and the hood repainted (it's black) and it has 118,000 miles, and yes it's a 5 speed.

I love it so far...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts