Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well yesterday I got my motor from the bone yard it is out of an 89 Ford "Anal" Probe turbo. I didn’t have to pull the motor because it was already removed from the car. I did pull the brain and wireing harness (I think I will be an expert at soldering wires because they cut the harness). I graphed dang near everything that was hooked to the wiring harness I figure the more I have the less I might have to get later (I was especially looking for things that had Mitsubishi logos on them). The turbo turns nicely doesn't wobble and the intake veins aren’t narfed up at all. It did have oil in it (the motor was leaning forward when I found it so maybe that’s way) but I can but new oil seals in it if I need to. My friend and I don’t think we will have any problems doing this swap it looks pretty straightforward. I am going to start a web page about my project I will post the web site when I get it up and running.

Does anyone have any good place I can find rebuild kits for a 2.2L turbo and any info would be a great deal of help?

·
Registered
186 Posts
there are some problems you might run into, so do a search of the forums for engine swaps, or something like that. I heard that the LX tranny wasn't strong enought to handle, the torque of the turbo, so you might want to grab the tranny if you still can. Good luck. It'd be cool to see someone finaly pull this swap off!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did find out that there was some funky trainy stuff going on and where 80 % shur the gt motor will bolt to my trainy. If it doesnt I will see about just moving the GT head intake and exhast manifold over.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was pulling the wiring harness out while my friend was pulling the brain. Well he pulled the 2 boxes out from under the passenger seat (He thought maybe they put the computer in a different spot on the Probes) but we did get the brain and the other 2 boxes from under the seat (I told the owner of the bone yard some of these Jap fuel injected cars have multiple ECUs)
If someone knows what they are that would cool. I think maybe one might be the trip computer

·
Registered
186 Posts
One of them controls the speed sensitive power steering that the turbo models use. I believe one of them is a factory amp for the stereo.
BTW Even if the tranny bolts up, I don't think that it will last long. You'll probably need a new clutch too!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Trans should bolt up. It does going the other way- n/a w/ turbo trans.. Lots of luck. If you do change trans,email me first and I will describe the procedure to swap the trans. It will take way too long to post here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts