Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been running around with my $20 temporary exhaust system on my V6 for about 5 years. I have been watching prices on extractors and weighing up building some myself.

The prices in the US ebay site finally tempted me to go for it. US$63 for the 304 stainless steel (polished) headers. The shipping is unfortunately another US$130, but still pretty cheap I reckon.

Let's just hope they actually arrive

·
Registered
28 Posts
mate that's awesome!
They don't have anymore do they?

I was under the impression the US extractors are different. I heard the somewhere. They won't fit our cars or something?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
the lineup on the back flange is pretty crappy (misses by like an inch or so), and the gaskets are crap as lol (my turbo headers were anyway), other than that there not the flashest headers in the world, but seriously, for the price, there wikid, good buy, your tempting me to get some since plans are pushed back lol

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Considering my KLZE is in the back of my 1968 VW Baja, fit wasn't a concern for me :) I have no steering column to worry about.

There are heaps on the US ebay for around US$80, sometimes cheaper like the ones I got.

I'll get the EGR crap taken off and plugged up (I have no need for it), and a bend put on after the two into 1 merge, and they should be good to go. Now I just need some cheap 304 stainless U-bends, a cat and a muffler and I'll have a complete system.

This was my first temporary set-up, but the bike muffler was too restrictive;

This is my current temporary set-up (turbo muffler instead);

·
Registered
28 Posts
That looks awesome baja ;)

So I'm mistaken? They won't hit the steering column? Cuz I'm tempted to buy these. I have 2.5" cat back, haven't touched the headers yet though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
They won't hit the steering column, they go straight down the middle of the engine bay where the stock ones go. They are good and cheap, get them! They're so good i bought 2 sets, the first ones came with 2 rear manifolds and no front one, and the scum bags at SSautocrap wouldn't even send me the front manifold alone. So now i have a spare set, anyone want them?

·
Registered
28 Posts
If they're not too much trouble installing how much you want for them? Getting my cat replaced today with a stainless steel core hi-flow

·
Registered
481 Posts
I've got them on my TX5, cost me $199US but shipping was just is Australia ended up being about $500-600AUD all up including fitting, rather than $1200 I quoted to get them locally. Place that fitted them said they looked pretty decent (same place that quoted $1200 to supply and fit). There was some improvement but not huge.

Bit like my last car, headers as compared to cat back cost about twice as much and gave approx half the gain.

My best bang for buck mod was easily the Cold Air Intake.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
They arrived today :jump:

I'm actually very impressed with the quality

The primary's are welded on the inside and outside of the mounting plate, which is quite good, and then they have any burn-throughs ground back.

The only odd thing is the size of the secondary's, they are 42mm OD the same as the primary's. That doesn't seem to make sense. You can see how they step down in size in the collector flange. The factory exhaust system (at least on the jap KLZE exhaust I have) has 48/49mm secondary's!

So I guess if I want lots of power, I will need to make bigger secondary's.

But for the price, the quality is great.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Ebay parts care not for measurments or power, only fitment. Goes for most extractor set ups though. They look good, are better then stock, and sound better too. Nice buy.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If anyone is interested in buying these, I'll let you know the secondaries don't ft. The bolt holes in the flanges don't line up, and the U-bend is too high so presses on the oil sump. I'll post pics later. I am in the process of modifying my current KLZE secondaries to fit with the new headers.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Must be an odd batch, mine fit.

It takes a lot of pushing and pulling to make the line up, but it can be done. Although if it is bumping into the sump, then obviously there is a big problem there.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I tried to fit the headers this weekend, and ran into some problems.

When fitting them to the car, it turns out there were a few problems;
* the U-bend in the secondaries was too high and pressed against the sump before the flanges mated together
* The flanges weren't flat against each other when they did come together
* The flanges were slightly rotated from each other making bolt fitting very difficult.

Here is what it looked like on the car, you can see the flanges slightly rotated from each other;

Here you can see the flanges aren't flat against each other, and the U-bend is pressed firmly on the sump;

So I went back to the factory secondaries. I cut them up into quite a few pieces and modified them to suit the headers rather than the factory cast iron manifolds. I even kept the balance pipe (which had to be relocated a little);

Here you can see on the factory unit the U-bend and other pipe are all flat in relation to each other (in the one plane), but on the stainless steel unit the U-bend is not flat compared to the other pipes;

So now I have a combination of headers and modified factory secondaries, surely a big improvement on the stock cast iron exhaust manifold;

I haven't taken it for a good test yet, but after a quick drive it did feel a little more unrestricted and did sound a little better.

·
Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
ya im thinking of trying them the price is good.
Zombie thread troller :p All good - where is pix of your car Laurence? Post em up in the new members thread.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts