Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am losing faith in the "MAZDA way". my car seems to be getting slower and slower as time goes on. it has 106K miles and a lot of new top end stuff like plugs, wires, intake, etc. im working on an exhaust but i dont think that will make my car as fast as i would like.
what can i do to make my regular LX like a damn speed racer. i floor it and it just gets louder with a deeper put put engine sound. Help me out guys i need some seroius BOOST!, before i sell the damn thing and get a honda.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You're not alone. My '88 LX was a slow bastard too. You could try to find the turbo that came stock on the GT's. It would be a big job, but it's been done before.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I now am thinking in the lines of blowing a headgasket cause the motors sound and the way it runs have changed more than my rusting struts.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Don't know what you guys are talking about. My 89 LX eats Civics for lunch, and tore my best friend's 98 Toyota Camry a new ass!. I've also raced a few Accords it's a close race but my car is bone stock and thiers isn't. They all have exaust and headers stuff like that ( I know because they go to my school) Maybe you should try cleaning your throttle body, I did it to my car and regained like 5-7 HP or at least that's what it feels like. Also check your compression. Do all the maintence stuff before you start spending $$$$ on performance hop ups. Just a word of advice. Give your car the once over and check the seals buy some injector cleaner all that stuff.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hey rage-ele, I've got 106k miles on my 89 LX, and we have a lot of the same mods, but mine feels a lot faster now than it was when I got it a few years ago with 63k miles. First off a tune up might help a lot. It sounds like you took care of the plugs and wires. Get like 2 bottles of the Redline Injector/fuel system cleaner, and when your tank gets empty, pour them both in, fill up with the highest octane gas, and drive with the revs high. That should clean out the injectors if they're clogged at all.
Also, ditch the pacesetter exhaust. I lost power when I put it on. I replaced it with crappy crimp-bent pipes and a nice Ansa muffler, and gained a lot of power. The biggest power gain came from my Cone filter. However, on hot days in traffic, it sucks in hot air and the car feels noticably slower. I'm trying to make some sort of cold air intake, and that should help me gain some consistently.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hey!

There are tons of things you can do to make your LX obscenely Fast. You can consider putting A DOHC head on. Its not very hard at ALL for the N/A engines. The DOHC (FE3) head conversion will raise your Compression to 11:1! (provided you use Kia Sportage/FE3 pistons) You can Raise your compression ratio/reduce your timing (a bit)/run high octane gas, you can port/polish and slap a set of headers on.
The most worth it mod would be the FE3 head/piston conversion!! You'll be killing VTEC preludes left & right.
You will also notice a HUGE improvement if you port your 12-valve and regrind your cam. The exhaust ports on the 12-valve are TINY!!!!!!
But all these things are to consider AFTER all the maintenence stuff is taken care of and making sure your compression is up to par.
Keep in mind theres tons of stuff you can do to your engine and yeild good results.

Good Luck and Keep the faith!! haha

[Edited by mazda-head on 03-21-2001 at 01:08 AM]

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Wow! Sounds like a lot of cool mods, and a lot of money.

No offense whatsoever to LX owners, but if it were me, I would sell my LX, and Move to a GT. Spend your money on the Turbo car, and WOW! It sounds like you have already spent a lot on the LX, and that money spent on a GT would yield much better results. I would be curious how your Modded LX would fair against my Bone Stock GT. Once again, no offense, but I don't think you'd beat me.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from fixing up their LX, but since our cars are now SO OLD, if you look around, you'll probably be able to find a GT for about the same price as your LX. Or, you may have to spend $300 more for the GT--But look what you get.

Just my $.02.

And if it is the head gasket, you should be seeing/smelling steam from the antifreeze out of your exhaust pipe.

ps. My sister has a LX, and I like it, it is no push over for a car in its class (except for my GT).

·
Registered
318 Posts
I got this in an email the other day and I found it interesting. I don't know who this is on the board though:

"...I JUST RECENTLY FOUND THIS SITE, I AM A MAZDA LOVER, I HAVE A 92 MX6, WITH ABOUT 20,000 INVESTED IN IT. CHROME ILLUSION TINT, PEARL PURPLE/BLUE PAINT, 18' DRIV RIMS/ 205/40/ TOYO TIRES, GREDDY CLUTCH, NEUSPEED MOD. FLYWHEEL, CLEAR FRONT LENSES, 5000 IN STEREO, INCLUDING TWO 15' KICKER COMP VR15'S, FULL WEAPON R MOD. EXHAUST, INTERIOR PARTS PAINTED SAME AS CAR, PEDALS, GRANT SUPERRACER WHEEL, CARBON FIBER KNOB. COMP UPGRADE, PIAA FOGS, GRILL(LOWER BUMPER ON OUR CARS) BILLETT INSERT, FRONT WINDSHEILD 15% CHROME, PORSCHE AFTERMARKET CARPET, NEON INTERIOR, NOS 50 SHOT TANK WITH PORT/POLISHED MANIFOLD/ INJECTERS,ALPINE 7828 HEAD UNIT W/ OPTION FOR TV, LOWER CUSTOMIZED SWITCH BOX, WITH RADAR DETECTOR, SPEEDOPTIONS.COM TRANS, CUSTOM MADE FOR ME, AUTO ADJUSTING SUSPENSION(FOR THE GT STYLE) MODIFIED AND RUNNING TO MY MX6, BREMBO BIG BRAKE KIT, STILL LOOKING FOR A STRUT BAR, INTAKE...

...LEE CROSS"

·
Registered
318 Posts
And, uh, by the way, my LX runs damn strong....but of course a new engine will do that. Its amazing how much more power I get a sea level too. Its hella fast.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I wonder what that guys 1/4 times and 0-60 times are. I couldn't imagine having the doe to invest $20K in my MX6.

I wonder if he is bs'n.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what i would like to see would be a Few pics of this
"20,000 $ car" that would be great!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I meant to say the same thing, I would like to see pics of an MX6 that someone put $20k into!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts