Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a VL Berlina Turbo Wagon as my next project. It's completely standard (still got the cargo barrier in it). Immaculate condition, 175,000kms. Driven by a mum for the last 6 years (i know the owner and previous owner, and i know it hasnt been thrashed). Electric mirrors, electric windows, electric sunroof, never been boosted. stock as a rock, which is exactly why i bought it cos it's the perfect platform (at least i think so) for my project. it's had a reco head put in, and a few bits and pieces replaced. LSD, reconditioned auto, cruise control.

got lots of plans for it, but wont say anything yet cos i dont wanna sound like a dreamer

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not picking her up till monday, but will get pics up then

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
I haven't seen one - original that is for about 6 years.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
get the calai popups on it for sure. and calais front bbar and silver sides.
wagons are far better than the sedans

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
nice pick up.

wagons are cool in general.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
i dont like vl's, but when ur friends drive them and think they're the best car in the world and constantly are ltalking shit about them, u cant starting to know a bit about them :p

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, bad news for me, the project's off. I got back from my mechanic yesterday and he told me that all the internals of my F2T are fucked, and so's the turbo. and since i cant sell it with the motor how it is, my mate at Mort's Motorsports is fitting a reco motor and reco turbo for around the $800 mark. so i'm gonna use my loan to pay off my parents, and then with the extra couple of grand that i've got left from my loan, i've got a few things happening next week while the motor's going in...but gonna keep it a surprise until it's done :jump:

with the wagon, because it's a berlina, it's basically a calais besides the front end. so i was gonna put the calias front on it, lower it, 18's etc...make it stand out from the crowd somehow...the money from the sale of my mx was going to pay off my parents and the loan was going to buy the wagon...but yeah, i got delt a bad hand, cant do anything about it now.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Im so jealous, i had a calais turbo about 8 years ago, my biggest regret was selling it. It was white over silver and had walky rims on it. i had a 3 inch exhaust, boosted to 15 pounds, intercooler and extra injecter.Took her drags and did a 13 flat!!! God i miss her :(
Good luck with the project mate

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
yeh i would have considered a VL if i wouldnt get bashed on sight for owning it :D for the age they looked like decent cars (LOOKED - dont know about mechanically)

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know tons of people who have them, and i also know how many people hate them (the majority of the "jap car" drivers that i associate with), but i've wanted one since I was 9. Yes, in standard form they're not really much to look at, but once modified properly they can look wiked

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
a standard calais looks better than any modified one. when i mean standard, i mean no bodykits, eww wiht venetians, just lower the car, and new wheels or polsih the standard calais.
no hdt kits or enthing like that

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i'd have to strongly disagree on that one, but that's all i'll say cos i really dont wanna get in a debate on this, cos people's opinions are always going to differ

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
i reckon they look the best wrapped around a tree or on the abck of a tow truck on the way to the scrap yard :) but thats just me...

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've kinda got a soft spot for them, can't help it since my first car was a VL haha. It was the car to have whilst on our p's on this side of town, in my circle of friends, most of us has owned a VL or two, an they arent too bad, it's just the stereotype "kids" that own them that make them look bad.
With styling and looks, i would have to agree with [email protected], calais are best kept looking stock (without a bodykit) lowered with rims. Commodores, plain looking, needs a bodykit, i've always like the aero, or even one with the group a front bar. My favourite would have to be the calais LE sports , still wouldnt mind one of those :)

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
in all seriousness, i would sell my soul for a genuine walkinshaw. i know that the majority of people dont like them, but i would choose one over the majority of cars out there, sports, lux, whatever...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts