Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I replaced my front pads, my fluid would need to be filled about once a week (the e-brake light would come on indicating low fluid). It was never solid, it would just happen with the fluid 'sloshed' to the front of the reservoir. It hasn't done it since (been about a week) but I'm suspecting it will happen soon again. But I didn't notice anything on the brake lines when I was replacing my pads.

I haven't checked my clutch flex line yet, but where are some common places (if there are any) for our car to be leaking brake fluid at about 259k?

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
My hunch (from previous experience and from reading others' posts): check your rear calipers. That's where you get leaks.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
yeah, check all the lines. one time i had a leak in the rear passenger caliper. had to replace it. it wasn't the line or anything but the caliper itself. also, eventually my brake master cylinder was leaking slowly. the little grommets underneath the fluid resevoir was leaking slowly as the seals were rock hard.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Check your master. Look under the carpet (beneath your clutch and brake pedals) and you will probably find it is damp.

If you search the forums, you will find a few "how-to's" for sorting this out.

That is the most common place to get a brake fluid leak if you are loosing fluid and cant find where it is dripping...

·
Registered
829 Posts
yeah, check all the lines. one time i had a leak in the rear passenger caliper. had to replace it. it wasn't the line or anything but the caliper itself. also, eventually my brake master cylinder was leaking slowly. the little grommets underneath the fluid resevoir was leaking slowly as the seals were rock hard.
Indeed. and make sure you FOLLOW the lines. do a visual on all of it. Was driving my 6 home after buying it when suddenly I lost all my fluid through a rusty line that had just given out. No brakes = teh suck

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
if it were the master brake cylinder, you'd obviously notice when you pressed the clutch in as you wouldn't have pressure. if you had a leak in any of your brakes, you'd also notice your brake pedal getting softer. if it were your fluid reservoir leaking, you wouldn't be losing pressure, at least not anything really noticeable if your clutch master cylinder or slave were leaking or caliper were leaking.

if any of the connections or brake lines seem wet, wipe them off and keep an eye on them to see if any of them get wet again, and there would be your leak

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't notice any softness in my brake pedal, although sometimes the clutch does feel a bit spongy...I'll check the firewall behind the pedals tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My hunch (from previous experience and from reading others' posts): check your rear calipers. That's where you get leaks.
I'll double that suggestion. Have a look at the inside of you rear rims/tires. When my LH rear caliper started to go, it wasn't until I pulled the wheel off that I could see where the fluid I kept adding was disappearing.

Paul

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it is my rear caliper/s would i need to replace the entire caliper?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
if it's where the banjo bolt is, then maybe get some new copper crush washers from your local auto store. 10mm inner diameter. if it's something else on the caliper itself, i guess you might be able to get some stuff to rebuild it, but might be safer just to get another caliper

·
Registered
39 Posts
At 259k, if you' re still on the original rear calipers, I'm impressed...

If you do find a leak, its far easier to just replace the whole caliper and be done with it. O/H the rears is tricky due to the handbrake and here at least, getting O/H kits is tough. If $$ is an issue, you can go with used ones (they are light enough to get mailed and can be had cheaply) Just be prepared to check it over carefully before you install it.

Paul

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well it's weird. Ever since I replaced my front pads I haven't noticed any problems. It's been a couple weeks and the fluid is still at the same level. My front pads were pretty much metal to metal, maybe that had something to do with it? Who knows...if it happens again I will check all 4 corners thoroughly and replace whatever needs to be replaced.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts