Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone knows the answer to this, you're my hero forever! I just bought a 93 stick mx6 ls. The owner said it has a "button" near the clutch which has to be depressed along with the clutch for the engine to start. He could start it no problem. But for the life of me, I can't get it to start. I leg press the clutch all the way, turn the key, nothing happens. I went down there with a flashlight, but found no "button" or anything else near the clutch. Has anyone heard of this problem before? What's the trick? Is there a way to disconnect that feature? If you can help me out, email me at [email protected] Much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
It's a safety interlock designed to prevent cranking and starting a manual transmission car when it's in gear, possibly leading to unintended motion of the car etc.

The act of depressing the clutch all the way is all that's normally required. Make sure the floor mats aren't blocking the clutch pedal travel; it has to go all the way to the floor. If that's not the problem, the switch itself may need adjustment or it may be defective.

[Edited by Mike 94PGT on 12-20-2000 at 10:28 AM]

·
JDM Conversion
522 Posts
Either that or he put a kill switch somewhere in the carpet like I have. The guys at the valet parking in Boston couldn't get the car started even though I had told them where it was, so I had to go down and start the car myself. They told me it was the coolest anti-theft device they had ever seen! =oP Anyways, maybe it's something like that, because when I bought mine, I had a hell of a time finding the damn button in the carpet, but I got used to it and don't even think about it when starting the car. Sorry so long but maybe it's something like that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts