Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says.

Based in Chesterfield.

I bought this car to replace my Celica GT-Four, because some tit drove into it and the "write-off" value was just stupid. As you'd expect, unfortunately.

Anyway, the engine decided it didn't want oil inside it any more and on the way home from work the oil light started flickering on when going round corners. By the time I reached home, it was really rattling and sounding very unhappy. A mechanic put his ear in its vicinity and said he thought it would require a crank regrind "at the very least".

I've started getting the GT-Four back on the road as a matter of urgency. The MX-6 is in beautiful condition inside and out, the engine just needs some TLC which I can't afford to give it right now. Oh, and the back box came apart from the end of the exhaust pipe at the weld. I also have a dead MX-3 on my driveway from which the back box can probably be taken to replace the one on the MX-6. And yes, I know I could drop the MX-3 engine into the MX-6, but just think how unpleasant that would be to drive - and I'm on the edge of the peak district here!

Viewings are more than welcome, we can organise something most weekends or weekday evenings, and there may be some flexibility for some week days.

May be open to P/X or some similar kind of deal if you have something reliable I can use as a run-around until I get the GT-Four on the road again.

Any (sensible) offers?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hi mate, you need to put details of the car on here please and photos.

Year, MOT/TAX, UK or Import, Spec (leather, aircon etc), mileage and a rough asking price at least.

I might be interested but it depends what i'm looking at price/car wise, but at the moment your decription is pretty vague.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll get some more details together when I have time. As the title says, N-reg. So 1995 or 1996. The red paint is faded and peeling in places - but that's true of every Mazda of that age which hasn't had a new paintjob. In fact the problem on this one only manifests itself on the bonnet.

I have pulled out heaps of old dodgy wiring from the boot which looks like it once belonged to a towbar.

I suspect that this one has come in from Ireland, but the year of first registration matches the plate.

Has MOT til June if I remember correctly, tax will be the same. That said, I wouldn't drive it very far with the engine in its current state, so as to avoid doing any more harm.

It has no aircon, but I have all the aircon parts which I am planning to post separately, unless you particularly want them.

The car is pleasantly rust-free, except for the exhaust section that's gone. As I say, I'll get more info together when I have time. I'll get photos tomorrow when there's light :)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
what makes you think its come in from Ireland?

Give me a ballpark figure on price.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I could be getting it mixed up with the MX-3. I'll check the paperwork. I think the MX-3 has an irish plate that's not transferable.

I'd be happy to get something ITRO £350, but you've really got to see the condition of the bodywork and the interior. As I say, I'll get photos when there's light :)

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
I'll get some more details together when I have time.
Sorry bud, but the rules state pictures are required for the thread to stay active. If not added by noon monday, i'll be shutting the thread.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I'll get on it. Though now they'll have to be camera phone pics, cause I put my SLR up as collateral against the GT-Four!

So, am I asking too much, or is there no interest, or what?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Price wise, its worth about £200 tops if it needs major surgery.

A new member picked one up on ebay for £40 just before xmas with a suspected head gasket problem. Turned out to be a fuel soleniod or something simple.

Another member gave his car to me FREE as it needed to be moved. It had 17" alloys and leather interior. Cost me £100 to collect it.

N reg cars fetch around £500 in good condition with no major faults. If yours needs a regrind "at the very least" then you are looking at a 2nd hand engine swap + time + gaskets and belts + service kit etc etc. Unless the car was incredibly immaculate then it wouldnt be worth it and would be better as a donor/breaker car.

Without any pics no-one is going to buy it as its condition is all a mystery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts