Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all... well I came across a problem I didn't notice the past few days... when my tires spin (winter) it does like a weird hop and I can hear it on the driver front like noice and rattle... any suggestions on what it could be? I don't want to take it to a shop and tell them I need this, this, this, this ect... and be paying $700 for a job I can do with my buddy at cost of parts... I just need a place to start it's not doing it on both sides only the driver side... Just need some help and soon please :)

Thanks all.

P.S if I let go of the gas... it stops the sound completely.

·
Registered
329 Posts
do you mean like wheel hop but only on one side? i'd check all the suspension and linkages on that side see if anything is excessively worn or loose i think that could cause your problem. also if you post in the general part of the forum you'll get more responses instead of just people who check the canadian section. hope that helps

·
Registered
327 Posts
probably cv if your tie rods are still good ... jack your car up and see if you can wiggle the tire if it only wiggles side to side and not up and down its your tie rod

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay thanks... Im going to do that now 97 and get back to you.... if it wiggles side to side what does it mean?

And elmer_fudd it makes noice like when I turn and all that... and like if i try to gun it it hops.

·
Registered
493 Posts
This means that the tie rod is worn and will need to be replaced.. It will most likely be the outter one if you do have play, however there are inner tie rods too that connect to the steering rack.. anyways outter tie rods arent too bad to change and are only like 40 bucks

·
Registered
493 Posts
Opps sorry .. i thought u meant side to side... a didnt see that last msg,. if it moves up and down .. your ball joint in your control arm is warn.. you can change them without replacing the whole control arm assembly however it is a bitch.. i would spend the 100-150 depending where u go and if u get discount .. on the whole assembly instread of tryin to smash a new one in

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
if it moves back n forth it means your inner & outter tie rods are shot & @ that point you might as well replace the lower ball joint i have the same issue on my 97 wiggles back & forth. Also after the rods have been changed dont forget 2 get an alignment done cheers hope this helped you out... if you were in toronto i know a good mazda tech. who would do this job for a decent price minus the alignment cheers~
ebay sells LCA for like 70us + shipping lower ball joint is like 30 bux from crappy tire also you dont have 2 smash the ball joint in you need this special tool 2 remove the retaining ring that snaps around the ball joint & 1 bolt.. good luck on the fix~

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks very much guys... I havnt yet checked about the car well because when my friend was lifting it it went through the bottom floor board lol... this is my project car btw I got it really cheap and knew stuff wasn't the best on it hehe... But yes I will let you guys know and thanks for all the information.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts