Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I will go ahead and buy me a strap for a 2ws and let you guys know if it fits. If it works like defiler says, then it should be ok. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am currently in need of a replacement gas tank as well for my '89 4WS.

I have another car to drive, so I wouldn't have any problem with taking my tank off and having it welded. Is that something any of you have experience with? We have a welder in town that we've taken tanks to from our shop and he has repaired them before, so I'm confident it can be done.

Also, my 4ws is unhooked now anyway, because of: a. it kept blowing pressure lines in the rear, and: b. the p/s pump didn't fit with the bigger turbo, so... would I be able to take out say... the steering shaft, and just use a 2ws tank? I haven't really looked under there yet or anything, but what would be in the way of preventing this, if this would be the route I'd take?

On a sidenote, I WOULD like to someday maybe get the 4ws working, just because of the rarity of it. Then at the same time the car is starting to rust underneath a bit, and I'm not sure how long I should hold onto a frivolous dream that may never take flight. Honestly, if I could find an uber clean 2ws or even a 626GT, I'd just let this one go and transfer all of my goodies over.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Any related ideas or suggestions are welcomed!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well, I searched on car-parts.com and found 3 4ws tanks listed in the U.S. I called to one of the places today and bought a tank for $55 shipped to my door. My plan is to make sure it's in good shape, possibly have it cleaned out professionally, and then have it powdercoated to ensure long life. Then, probably have my current tank welded up, fixed, and done the same to. Then I'd probably sell it as well.

Sounds like a good plan to me!

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
I have a new tank. It has two new fuel pumps in it. It is the 4ws tank, been holding onto it for a while, i have some other timer units and things NIB too.

Please pm me if interested.

on a sidenote, i sold defiler my 4ws mx6 that had no 4ws when i bought it, even a 2ws tank. I got it all working and it was a sweet car. THe gas tank i used was from a rusted out 626 4ws that i parted, tank leaked from day one, but i was able to have it welded at a shop. It was expensive, bout $125, but worth it to me.

I would let me tank go if someone needs it, bc i don't even have the 4ws anymore, sold it to my broke azzz neighbor.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts