Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. I'm a college kid on a strict budget looking to tune my 95 Mx-6 LS for better performance. I'm looking for advice on what parts and brands to buy. I bought a CAI off ebay and love what it has done for my car. Here is a list on what else I want to do.

Short Throw Shifter
Performance Headers
Performance Muffler (no rice sound please)
Racing Flywheel
Racing Clutch
Sway Bars

Any input on this would be very appreciated! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Step 1 = Regular maintenance. Make sure it is running perfectly before you sink money into performance mods. You can free up power by doing this too.

The following can be done in any order depending on whether you want looks, handling, or performance to come first.

Performance = Headers, High flow cat or test pipe, and a catback exhaust system, Short throw shifter, poly shifter bushings and motor mount inserts, Upgraded clutch, Lightweight flywheel, New shifter bushings to tighten the shifter up even more.

Handling/Looks = Lowering springs, Upgraded struts, Strut tower bars front and rear, Upgraded rear sway bar, New wheels and tires.

Get all of those things done and your car will feel great. If you are still not satisfied start researching turbochargers or superchargers but be well aware of what kind of work, money, and maintenance is involved.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
sway bars should be top of that list.

headers - ebay is your friend. Cheapest set there will be fine.

exhaust. either just get an exhaust shop to make you one with one of their mufflers or get a muffler you like and take it to the shop.

Flywheel/clutch - Wouldnt bother unless your clutch is dead. "Racing" clutch isnt needed anyway.
But changing the flywheel JUST because you want to is a hell of a lot of work just to do that. Change it when the gearbox has to come out anyway.

STS - yeah ebay again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so sway bars should come quick? should i take preference for a front or rear? chances are the money won't be there to buy both at the same time

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
so sway bars should come quick? should i take preference for a front or rear? chances are the money won't be there to buy both at the same time
Rear...you dont really need to upgrade the front. Upgrading the front sway will cause the car to understeer more. I recommend the AWR 19mm sway bar for the rear. Well worth it!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Rear...you dont really need to upgrade the front. Upgrading the front sway will cause the car to understeer more. I recommend the AWR 19mm sway bar for the rear. Well worth it!
and to add to that, don't forget some new end links. u'll probably have to destroy the old ones to get it off.

·
Registered
418 Posts
swaybar.. more fun to be had i the corners. Personal preference though

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Sway bar for sure! If you do get the AWR 19mm sway, it says in the instructons that you have to drop the lateral links...you dont have too!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
custom cams for around $400 will give you a good bang for the buck.

the clutch, not really performance, but handles more power

the muffler adds a little power and a lot of sound - Flowmaster 50 or 60 series

MX3 flywheel shaved a bit will be more affordable and gets you into the juicy part of the rpm range faster.

·
Registered
549 Posts
1. maintenance

2. suspension, make it stiff, you wont feel the car as quick with a soft suspension as you would with a stiff suspension. including motor mounts.

3.ditch the cai, get a k&n replacement

4.ebay headers

5.custom bend exhaust with hooker aero chamber muffler. deep and throaty.

6.brake upgrade

·
Registered
894 Posts
Maybe invest in some light Enkei wheels, you'll lose some weight, and more importantly, less rotational mass. Then if you have some spare cash, invest in some sticky tires. Another thing to look at is removing the trunk spoiler, although it looks good, it only creates drag.

You should also look into KLZE cams, they will give you about 10-15 more horsepower and 10ftlbs more torque. I suggest cleaning your throttle body as well, then get a nice set of ignition wires, followed by spark plugs...*careful though, our motors are sensitive to platinum plugs, stick with NGK and get iridium plugs*

I hope all of this helps...happy spending!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts