Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so the cars have high milage (MX = 289 000km - Audi 324 000km). I have sentimental value on both. So I don't want to replace them, I just need a "new" daily runner. I want another MX6, but the market in South Africa isn't being kind to the MX. They all have high mileage. The lowest milage I could find was 185 000km on 94 model. Note that S.A only has 2.5 V6 KL02 motors. So, before I burn my fingers by buying a car on it's last breath, I need advice.
-What should I look out for?
-What is considered high risk mileage?
Any other advice?

Thing is, when I buy a car, I drive it for years and years. So it needs to be reliable enough to easily take on a trip of 1400km's at a time. And worst of all, I have a heavy foot and do 95% driving in town with semi heavy traffic. Obviously I haven't been in the car market for ages, and thus is worried i might buy a lemon. :angel:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Well 185,000 is far less than 289,000.

Basically, if the car was serviced on time and had regular oil changes, 185,000kms is low. Now 289,000 on your MX is not that high. If you have taken good care of it and changed oil often, you could do another 50,000 or more without any hiccups.

I know this sounds a bit funny but sometimes I just fully try to analyze the seller. Does he/she seem like an honest person, a liar. If you ask them when something was last done and you get the shoulder shrug or "I think not long ago" or anything but a direct answer, they are pretty much bullshitting you.

Look for service records. My MX3 had a few service records and it was interesting to see the mazda dealers comments: Suggest changing CV joints next service. But did she do it next service, nope! CVs clicking like crazy :p

Look for the cleanest one you can find, with the best interior.

Take one with 220,000kms that is clean, inside and out, has a cleaner engine bay and nice service records over one with 180,000 that has crap service records, dirty inside and out and oil all over the engine bay :p

1 - 2 of 2 Posts