Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure the most effective way to search, since most of the older posts are gone. So I'm starting a new one.

I have an 89 Mazda 626 DX 5-speed with 160K miles on the original tranny, motor, and clutch. I'm just waiting for one of the above to go out before I start my FE3 swap. In the mean time, I wanted to do some suspension upgrades.

Currently, I have a front strut tower bar and 15 X 6.5 Nissan Maxima wheels. In the box and ready to go on the car is a set of GT sway bars.

Here's my question:
I've seen several people post that the 2nd gen suspension fits the first gen. The front without any problems and rear with a slight camber error. I was wondering if this applied to all models, in particular my model. If so, great. I'm looking to lower the car about an inch and want to enhance the performance of the car. I'm also looking to improving or retain ride comfort. I'm hoping the 2nd gen suspension will have more suspension travel and a stiffer spring rate, while lowering the car as some people have confirmed.

Secondly, will the Ingalls rear camber kit suffice in bringing the alignment back into spec. It is adjustable +/- 1 degree. Also, how does the Tokico Illumina or HP kit perform? They sell both kits with springs and I'm wondering how low this will drop my 89 DX.

Third question:
Which wheels work best with the 626. I have an old set of Maxima wheels from a 95 SE. The offset is 43mm or 45mm if I recall correctly. The rear required me to use a 7mm spacer since the tire (205/60/15) is too large and rubbed the spring perch. I'm looking into a set of Protege5 16X6 wheels with a 50mm offset. Will these work without a spacer?

My other car is a 97 Nissan Maxima with a really nice suspension...H&R Sports with shortened body Koni struts and shocks. The ride is much more comfortable and sporty than stock. I'd like that to get that much from my 626 at a good price.

·
Registered
321 Posts
As for question #3... I was lucky enough to find a set of 2G RX-7 wheels in good condition last winter in the 'yard. These fit perfect with 205/60-15's, and I think the look is very nice. The offset works fine, and it keeps Mazda equipment on my car.

Incidentally, the proper offset is -42mm...the higher the - number, the bigger spacer you will have to use...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I'm going with a strut/spring combination from a 93 626 LS. I'm hoping everything will install without problems. I'm also going to get a rear camber bolt kit from Ingalls (only $22), hoping that this is the camber kit everyone says is necessary.

As for the wheels, I'm just going to wait. Currently I have a set of 15X6.5" Nissan Maxima wheels offset 43mm? with 205/65/15 tires. The tire diameter is larger than the stock 626, but the tires were free. Because of this, the rear tire was rubbing against the rear spring perch. I used a 7mm wheel spacer to fix that problem, but I'd rather have a tire/wheel setup that didn't need a spacer. The spacer is need not so much because of the wheel offset, but because the tire diameter is about 1.8 inches too large.

I'm told the 2nd gen rear struts have a lower body, but smaller coilsprings. This will hopefully allow more clearance for the rear wheels.

I'll update this post when I get the suspension on...as of now, it looks like I have them on by Jan. 2004.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts