Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I get a sub and I run about 300 watts through it, will I be blown out with bass and have no other music if I am running the four factory speakers with a sony deck around 19 watts rms? Will it sound good if I replace the doors with nicer speaker or even components or will I have to get another amp?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Replacing the stock door speakers might make it sound better but it depends on how bad you think the original speakers are and much you are willing to spend on a new set.

If you cut some of the bass out of the front door speakers with say a cross over or capacitor [100uF/50v Non polarised] usually does the trick, then another amp might well help lift the front stage up to be able to cope with the proposed increase in rear bass.

If you go for a 300w box/speaker you don't have to turn it all the way up, you could balance the set-up so as to get a nice clear front stage and also some nice bass to fill in.

To achieve this you will need to be able to adjust the crossover points on your amps/speakers/head-unit, which ever is the easier or is possible, you will also need to understand that a 300w system does not have to be played at 300w, actually, if I keep to my theory of only using the best power from a system which is the first 75% of it, then your 300w set-up might well sound great at about 150ish watts all other things being equal.

G

·
Not necessarily - and it will sound better if you replace your speakers eventually (I'm about to do the same thing.) 'Course if you upgrade your factory stuff you're probably going to need another amp so it all depends on how much money you wanna spend.

·
Registered
321 Posts
replacing the factory speakers is a good start. You can add an amp later if you feel that you want more out of them. It also depends how much you want to spend up front. I have a pair of JL xr570 coaxial still in the box they are a 5x7 with center mounted tweeter and a crossover. they sound really good if you don't want to do cutting of the doors look into coaxials. they fit right into the factory spot. go to your local shop and check out JL stuff. If you like it I will sell you mine I am going with a 3 way so I don't need them. email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks for all your advice! I feel better about getting a sub.

Superman39-I am going to go to a JL dealer this weekend, I'll let you know if I am interested.

EF Max- thanks for you advice, I have been to your website and have learned quite a bit.

I do have one more question. If I go with components, what size fits in the door and how do you modify? Also the tweeters can go in the factory holes right?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I personally prefer components, but that is just me. The stock tweeter isn't nasty but Infinity do a Kappa 10t that more or less will drop straight in and sound very sweet indeed.

As for the mids/midbass, there are loads of options. I opted for a 2" mid high up on the door and a 8" Audax Bass unit in which both needed a fair bit of fabrication especially to clear the windows when they were down but it still fitted under the stock door trim, so from 8" downwards basically, again it is a time and money decision.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Now componets are not bad at all you are gonna pay more for them and more to install them if you can't do the work your self. there are not to many brands that will fit tweets in the factory location. so you may have to cut into the door. because normally you don't want your tweet to far the mids and plus it is a poor design having the tweet fire up into the winshield. but there are thousands of options in car stereo equipment. Just remember it is your car and you have to love it.

G

·
replace fact. speaks, then go to an amp(or five)maybe even components before the amp, then put some juice to your aftermarket replacements

1 - 8 of 8 Posts