Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need advice on mx6/626

okay, i've been driving for about a year now and i've been driving a 1986 dodge aries (don't worry, my parents gave it to me) and now i'm a little ready to buy a car. i've already test drove a 1992 mx-6 and fell completely in love with the thing. except it sold =( and i need advice on what other people think of the first gen. mx-6 and 626. thanks.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Great choice!!

The 1st gen MX6 and 626 is a fantastic car... except for the automatic. The auto tranny in the 88-92s were terrible. If you are going to get a 1st gen, get one with a 5 speed. Other than that there is really nothing in the car that you have to beware of. I have 1991 GT, since I bought it new in March of 1991. It has 80,000 miles and runs as strong and is as tight as it was new. My miles are low compared but I know it will be just as good years from now.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Since Rbodeman gave you an opinion of a fine low-mileage example, here is one from a high mileage car: I have 196K miles on my 89 GT and it's tight, body and chassis is excellent (even with the original struts and shocks) and everything works great (even more so than my 48K mile '93 5.0). I did rebuild the engine at 195K miles, which was really by choice rather than the result of any serious engine problems. Highly recommend one (especially a GT).

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
I'm on my second one, I cant get enough!!!

I have 152k on mine, and it runs beautifully. This is the best car I've ever owned, and my previous cars include a Mustang 5.0, & a '92 Pontiac Bonneville SE. My old car was a '89 MX-6 and I sold it to my friend with 147k miles and he loves it too. His is an automatic, and it's amazing that it still works good, considering how hard I drove the car during the 3 1/2 years I owned it. The mx-6/626 is a very reliable platform that's easy to work on, parts are inexpensive and plentiful, and is just plain awesome lookin. If you want speed, get the turbo, just realize that there is a bit more maintainence involved, but if you're committed, it's no big deal.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Yeah

I feel that the MX-6's are easy to fall in love with. A friend of mine had owned a 1989 MX-6 GT (turbo), I loved it. However, it was 2 yrs later before I got my own.

A 1990 MX-6 GT with 128k miles on it. It still runs extremely well. That was one thing that really turned me on about this car. My friend drove his HARD. And I do mean hard. His gas pedal was just an on/off switch. He had 195K miles on it when he traded it in. He bought it when he was like 16 yrs old, and drove it like a 16yr old would.

I'd say, go for it. Another thing I like about the MX-6, it doesn't look like a 'fast' car. Most people don't even know about it. I think it surprises most people. I had told my boss about it, and how fast it was. Then one day I took him for a ride. He was shocked (his wife has a 240SX that he thought was fast) at how fast it was.

I hope you get one.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Great car

get a 5-spd with a turbo. And you will be set. anything you lack can be covered by aftermarket. Anyway it's a really fun driving car (more so with a turbo) and has pretty good looks.

I've had my car since June '00 and I'm really happy with it.
I have 181K on my 89 626 and the only big problem now is that my car uses oil (valve stem seals are bad). Easy fix though. The other problem I had was my front struts had leaked out their hydraulic fluid (it was nasty).

I agree with what most people have said about the car. So I hope you find one.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
found two mx6's

alright. i've found an 89 lx with 125k and an 89 gt with 150k. the dealer is asking $3000 for the gt. the lx is $1800. which one?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Used Car dealer?

Hey if the LX you found at a Used Car dealer? If so, watch out! $1800 for a MX6 LX at 125K sounds suspicious, that's waay under Blue book, if you do happen to go for the LX have it inspected by a mechanic before buying it. The GT sounds like more of the right price for these cars.

For reference, my 89 626 DX with 181K is Blue booked at $3900 (WA state, retail).

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
hey

I'd keep looking. Be patient, see if you can find a GT, maybe with less mileage on it.

Taking it to a mechanic is a great idea also. Man, get the GT, I think you'll be 50 times happier. Ask those who have the LX.

Don't get me wrong, the LX is a great car, and fun to drive. But multiply the LX power by 2, and see what you think.

I'd try to buy from an individual. Never trust a car dealer, new or used.

Patience will help you more than any thing else.

Good luck.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Amen to LX owners wishing they had a GT. I bought my LX in April, the previous owner had busted it something fierce and ddin't tell us, so I had to get a new engine in it. Plus I overpayed to begin with. But I absolutely love the car to death. When I am rich and have a garage full of exotics and whatnot I can gurantee you that somewhere in there I will have a GT. I personally like the post 1990 models, the exterior enhancments just look sooo much better to me. However as a friend of mine noticed, his factory '89 DX rear speakers had a seperate tweeter on teh speaker, where my '90 LX had just some cheap (but fairly good) factory speakers with no tweeter. This made us wonder about the quality of other parts on the post 1990 models. I replaced my speakers anyway. I am also a true believer in ABS so you might look for that, my LX doesn't have it and I have locked it up without meaning on to on several occations. Some of those was to avoid t-boning stupid people cuz they don't realize how fast I am going =)

·
Registered
379 Posts
The prices on both the LX & GT above sound fishy. My family's '90 DX (with hand-crank windows and manual door locks, no less) was listed at about $3,200 on the Kelley Blue Book site. Pore over those two with a fine-tooth comb before you think about buying!

As for turbo/non-turbo, it's your choice. Turbo is definitely the best bet for performance; however, the naturally aspirated four works quite well (for my dirving at least :) ). It merges effortlessly and pulls quite nicely in second and third gears. (It blows the doors off my '86 Cutlass Supreme 307!).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Also want one

Well I am also looking to get a Mx6

This thing is a GT Turbo with all the options. 149,000 miles on it and its green heh but its an Auto and the guy is askin $3000 for it. Someone said that the 1st gens Autos weren't good or something to that effect. Ya think its worth getting?

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
I strongly suggest you re-consider about that GT. The auto transmission on our cars can barely cope with the power that the nonturbo engine gives off. I cant imagine how long it would last with having 190lbs of torque fed through it if you plan on driving with some enthusiasm. As for modifications, forget about it, that'll quickly spell death for the auto tranny. Keep looking for one with a 5speed manual, they're practically indestructable and far more enjoyable to drive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts