Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a real nice Kenwood CD player (35W X 4 channel). My MX6 has factory speakers or equivalent, I currently own 2 Rockford Fosgate 8" Woofers mounted in individual boxes, but the boxes are kind of small.

I used to have them running off my Kenwood deck for my rear speakers (the boxes have tweeters mounted also). They sounded good.

So here is my question, there is a $220 Kenwood (I like Kenwood) amp at Circuit City (I love Circuit City), I think it is like 150watts or so. I think that that amp should make my speakers Rock, do yall? I plan on putting them in the trunk, leaving my other four speakers hooked to the CD player, running the sub output to the 8"s.

Another thing, I also have a real nice 5 band Kenwood EQ I have had stored for like 4 years or more. Should I buy another amp (4 channel), hook up my EQ and run the 4 car speakers off of that, and leave the subwoofer on it's own channel? It has been a while yall, do I still know what I'm doing? Any better ideas? I am money limited.

[Edited by jiffy6969 on 04-04-2001 at 02:50 PM]

·
Registered
58 Posts
First, why the hell would you want 8" subs. They barely give you any bass. If you want to hear the bass, at least get some 10's or 12's. But anyways, I'd say just hook the amp up to the subs and you'll get at least a little something.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean more bass than I have now. I don't care at all if only people inside the car can appreciate it. That is what I'm looking for. They sounded great without an amp in My Nissan 4X4.

I know that to get some good performance I'd need to go with at least 12", but I don't want to spend that much right now. You're looking at about a minimum of $600 between the amp and some decent speakers in a decent box.

I never buy stuff like Pyramids. Although I do own an old set of 12"s that sounded good. I still feel like my 8" Fosgates would out perform the 12" pyramids. Yes, I did buy the Pyramids in High school, used, about 6 years ago. I don't buy cheap junk anymore. You should've seen the box those 12s used to be in...EWWWWWW. I'll just do without than to buy cheapo.

G

·
I noticed that you said that you did not want to spend too much money. You realize that buying an amp is not as easy as simply bringing it from the store and hooking it up to your subs. You will need to buy all sorts of wire (+/_, remote) as well as a set of RCAs so I would add about 50 bucks to your estimation. That being said, there is nothing better for any speakers than taking them off of deck power and putting an amp on them. I highly recommend it.

Amp as much as you can afford with as much power as you can afford, just stick to RMS ratings and don't get taken in by some company's peak specs.

[Edited by 2xBlown on 04-04-2001 at 05:08 PM]

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, I know about wires, But like I said, it has been a while. I actually have a lot of wire, but I'm going to need to buy some good power wires.

If I remember right, you hook the main power directly to the battery, and then the on/off switch to a fuse that comes on when you turn on the car, right? or wrong?

Like I said, it has been a while, and I ain't gonna pay anyone to do what I can do.

I have hooked up SOOOO many systems, I used to have 2 Rockford Fosgate 18" woofers powered by a Rockford Power 150Watt. I had the crossover hooked up, my 5 band EQ, that sh!t would rock!!!! But that has been about 5 yrs ago. I know once I get started again, I will have it Rockin' like hell.

G

·
There should actually be a remote (sense/on-off) wire coming out of your deck, this is the easiest place to hook it up. And don't forget about fusing the power path. An inline fuse right after the power comes from the battery and if you are going to run multiple amps, get a fused distibution block too. If you have any questions, drop me a line [email protected]

·
Registered
583 Posts
Stereo

The amp isnt really going to get you thumpin, but it'll sound decent. I have two amps in mine. a 400 for my PioneerIMPP's and another 400 for my four regulars. If anyone has any stereo questions email me. My system included six disc head unit, a second Pioneer 9200 equalizer head unit, a kenwood 6 regular band, 2sub bands, equalizer, and of course all the speakers etc. I'll have pics of it with the fiber optics here in a week or so

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Re: Stereo

MX6Guru said:
My system included six disc head unit, a second Pioneer 9200 equalizer head unit,
wow! 2 head units...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Listen to 2xblown

First I wouldn't set foot in circuit shitty because of their prices... that's why I spent $200 in business licenses and now get all my stuff at dealer cost... think about it... EVERYTHING! Second if you don't know how to hook it up then let someone else hook it up (even if your rusty at it since you said you've hooked up a many system before)... otherwise your car might become a heap of ashes... seriously. I'd never personally use my head unit to power any loudspeakers... use a seperate 4ch amp... it will sound a hell of a lot better... plus you will be able to tweek it so it will match the subs... nothings more annoying than distorting speakers trying to match the db level the subs play. If you're interested I have a 6channel kicker impulse (I hate Kenwood... sorry to rip on you) in stock for $300 (rms 35x6 @4ohm @12v) perfect for 4 speakers and 2 8"subs... or better yet use the 8's as mid bass (or pair of 6's) Anyway just don't get screwed. Money saved is just another toy you can buy... BTW use the eq if you can... if it's an active then you'll need amps...

·
Registered
609 Posts
I am currently searching for a 12 inch sub. I narrowed it down to Infinity Kappa Perfect, JL audio, or Pioneer IMPP. What should I get and will one sound good if 300 watts are running through it?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
mxer said:
I am currently searching for a 12 inch sub. I narrowed it down to Infinity Kappa Perfect, JL audio, or Pioneer IMPP. What should I get and will one sound good if 300 watts are running through it?
you already have the amp? and is that 300 watts at 4 ohms?

if you have enough money to get the infinities, do it. otherwise its the pioneer. if you get the 12W6 then your gonna be running a 6 ohm load and a [email protected] amp is only gonna be pushing 200W into the sub, barring regulators and such... otherwise if you go JL, youll have to buy a 450 [email protected] 4 ohms amp to run 300 watts through the 12W6...

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
mxer said:
and how did you narrow it down to those subs? if money is not a question, why not cerwin-vega? the stroker is a killer sub...and if money is a question, i think the series III is about the same price as the infinity sub...i think. ill have to double check on that...

·
Registered
609 Posts
I was thinking of a Kenwood 300 x 1 @4ohms. Thats of course if something else doesn't catch my eye. I just went to a car stereo store and they were selling a JL 12W3 w/ 2 4ohm voice coils for $159. But then I need to get an amp that is 2 ohm mono stable. The guy at the store said I could get the 12WO and that the 300 watts would really make it go, but it is only rated for 125. Is he full of shiite? I am trying to keep the price down as possible. What amps do you recommend? Cerwin Vega are pretty nice, I just narrow it down mainly with price/quality.

G

·
FOR A KICKIN SYSTEM THAT I WOULD TRY WOULD BE AN ORION 225 HCCA FOR THE FRONT AND REAR SPEAKERS AND A 2150 SX AMP FOR TYHE SUBS MEANING 2-12'S IN A PORTED BOX AT 1 1/2 CUBIC FT PER 12'S AND A EXTRA BATT IN THE TRUNK AND A 1.5 FT CAP WITH IT. IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT THE BASS NOT COMING THROUGH THE TRUNK, DONT WORRY IT WILL! THAT IS THE SET UP I HAD IN MY CAR ABOUT 7 YRS AGO IN A IASCA COMP. AND AT THAT TIME I WAS A MECP CERTIFI... I DONT HAVE THINGS LIKE THAT NO MORE SINCE I BEEN MARRIED FOR 4 YRS BUT I STILL HAVE A LITTLE BANG IN THE CAR.. WHAT I HAVE IN THE CAR NOW IS A 5TH ORDER BOX WITH A PIONNER 10 AND A PROFILE AMP ( THE AMP CAME WITH THE CAR" BUT THE AMP REALLY WORKS GREAT! I WAS VERY SUPRISED AT IT. THE AMP IS A 4 CHANNEL AMP AND I HAVE ALL THE FRONT AND REAR SPEAKERS RUNNING OFF OF TWO CHANNELS AT 8 OHMS AND THE THIRD AND FOURTH CHANNEL I HAVE IT BRIDGED AT 4 OHM AND THAT EVENS OUT THE POWER IN THE AMP AND MAKES IT RUN VERY EFFICIENT AT 8 OHMS AND VERY CLEAN FOR A CHEAP POS AMP LOL. OH AND THE FRONT AND REAR SPEAKERS ARE PIONNERS AND THE WOOFER IS ALSO A PIONNER10" WOOFER THAT I GOT AT BEST BUYS FOR 39 BUCKS! IT WAS ON SALE BECAUSE IT WAS BEEN DISCONTUNED LOL BUT IT HASNT BOTTOMED OUT YET AND IT SHAKES THE WHOLE CAR SUPRISINGLY! IF I HAD THE MONEY WHICH I WILL HOPEFULLY NEXT YEAR I WOULD REDO LIKE I WROTE ON TOP WITH SOME ORION AMPS AND THEIR HCCA WOOFER OR ORION DVC 10'S OR 12'S IN A PORTED BOX. AND ALSO USE A GOOD CROSSOVER LIKE "AUDIO CONTROL" 2XS OR 3XS . YOU CAN FIND ALL THESE STUFF ON E-BAY USED . OR GO FIND A DEALER THAT ONLY SELL CAR AUDIO.....

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
ummm... okay im not even gonna try to read that last post...

the 12W0 is a 10 ohm sub right? i really dont deal with JL too ,much so im not sure... but if it is then youll only be pulling 120 watts from it. itll make it go... but not go good. the only thing youre gonna get from a high impedance sub is low THD and a high dampening factor. if you must go with JL i say use the 12W3 with a 300W 2ohm stable amp...

·
Registered
609 Posts
Thanks for the advice. The 12W0 is 4 ohm but it is the bottom of the line JL. Cervin Vega have really nice specs for the price. If the rms on the sub is 400 will it sound ok if 300 is running through it? I do have another question though, 2 10's or 1 12? I am starting to rethink my whole system.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
i would have to say 2 10s... with the same amount of wattage, you move more air and have a higher SPL. they take up a little more space but sound better, look better, and dont give your trunk an assymetrical look...

ive heard that the surrounds on JLs are bad but thats just talk... the surrounds are made of a different material that doesnt deteriorate when exposed to acetic(?) acid put off by caulk when it dries. im not sure if that contributes to any flaws or not but i would take cerwin-vega, infinity, alpine, among others over JL without even thinking about it... but you know, opinions are like a$$holes, everyones got one-- i dont think mine stinks but maybe im wrong.

·
Registered
256 Posts
if youre even thinking about spending the money on the vegas or the JL's you should drop that and go straight to Audiobahn. they are the tightest subs i've ever heard. my friend has two 10'' aw1000's and they hit harder than his two 12'' JL W6's. just my opinion but you can get two 10'' audiobahn aw1000's for like 200 bucks whereas JL's are about twice that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts