Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm having some difficulties with this, and it's the first time I"ve ever done it so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The transaxle is not mounting to the motor like it ought to. The motor is brand new- a 95. But the transaxle is from my 93.

Is there anything that is tricky about this that I need to watch for?

I'm at 50 ft lbs of torque and the 2 pins have not yet full seated themselves into the transaxle. Maybe they are not perfectly aligned regarding specs?

I think the pins are out of tolerance. (correct term?) Is it unacceptable to pull one or possibly both of the pins out? Just asking.

I know that Aluminum is not that strong and I'd prefer not to break the block which I know is very well possible.

Is it normal for these pins to be very hard to fit into the transaxle? I"m not sure what to do.

The torque setting is 50-70 ft lbs but seems like I should at least be surface to surface by 50 ft lbs.

Am I doing something wrong? Both pins have about 1-2 mm further to travel before metal to metal.

Please help.

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
Your tranny should sit flush with the engine block before you even put any bolts in. You have to back out the tranny again, take a look at your pilot bearing to make sure you didn't push it out of position within the flywheel, then grease up the hole of the pilot bearing and the input shaft of the tranny, then try again. I had to try for a couple of hours before I figured out that the input shaft goes into the pilot bearing, and after that the tranny pushes on to the block without issue.

Good luck and don't wreck anything on that nice new motor!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Paul. I hate to reverse steps but that seems to be the reasonable course.

Is it better to remove the gear box from the bell housing when mounting to the motor?

Doing this without a helper is not fun! The transaxle mush must weigh 150 pounds or so.

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
Is it better to remove the gear box from the bell housing when mounting to the motor?
I didn't understand this part. The tranny stays whole (don't dismantle it), just line it up and keep trying to push it together until it goes. Don't force it though.

·
Registered
250 Posts
when i re-installed my old motor I had a devil of a time getting it in, and I used a highly specialized, rare, and fine tuned piece of equipment to get it in properly. My right foot. Seriously I stomped the f-er in. It worked for me but I wouldn't recommend it. You can, if you wish, rent my foot.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did not have the splines properly aligned between the friction disc and input shaft.

Only when I took the friction disc and placed it on the shaft by hand did I realize how "right on" the alignment needs to be for the shaft to slide into place.

I pushed so hard on the new friction disc on the first install attempt, though, that it disturbed some of the splines or whatever they are called on the friction disc.

hmmmm....o.k. so this whole procedure is more finesse intensive than I had first believed.

Transmission jack is the way to go probably if you're doing this by yourself.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Lining up the splines is the most crucial. TOok me two tries myself, lol. Second time I realised you needed to turn the torque converter until it loved in, then again to make sure everything was seated properly

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
fucking atx transmissions. Almost broke my back lifting that damn thing and jiggling it around for 2 hours trying to get the input shaft lined up right. turn the engine over a bit, wiggle the tranny, spin the engine, wiggle the tranny. rinse repeat. fuck at the time I was 6' 130lbs. The damn thing weighed as much as I did.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts