Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 2.0 liter engine. Here is what I want to buy and install: J-spec Intake manifold, camshafts, and piston set. If I put these all on would it be possible to tune the compression to get a significat HP gain? Anywhere near the FS-ZE engine? Like a 150 hp or something? I would just by the engine but they seem extremely hard to get a hold of and would be a bitch to ship. Thanx for any opinions and/or help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am not totaly sure but I believe those are all the mods of the J-spec engine that seperate from the A-specs. I assume you would be running closer to 170 HP. I also think that with any of these mods you also need to reprogram the ECU. With the cost of parts and install it would probably be cheaper to get the J-spec engine since it only 2000. Just so you know I posted a topic on probetalk.com to see if anyone with a Jspec engine could say that they had it up and working. No one could say that as far as I know there has never been a successful J-spec swap or major J-spec mods. The best advice I can give you is to get a new protege and wait for the Turo kit to come out. That what I'm doing.

·
Registered
314 Posts
There are plenty of people on this board who seem very happy with their engine swaps(JSPEC).

1st MP3 in NH- I think it would be cheaper to go for those mods to make it JSPEC plus reprogramm the ECU. Think about it a new FSZE engine is $2000...GREAT! But can you do the swap yourself? If you can then thats cool, but labor charge is a bitch if you can't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Who has had a successful J-spec engine swap? I would love to talk to them. I haven't been able to find anyone who has done it with out some horrific backlash. Atleast not for the 2.0L engine I have heard a few success stories of the 2.5L though.:E

·
Registered
202 Posts
Quite a few people have done the swap on the v6 to the jspec. The problems they run into are usually with the egr system, since there is no place on the jspec manifold to hook it up. This isn't really a big deal though. You can get around it by either hooking up all the sensors so the ecu thinks the egr is functioning, or you can actually tap the manifold and get the egr system working. The only other repeated problem the jspecs seem to have on the v6 is hood clearance with the jspec intake manifold, but it does fit. Having the ECU reprogrammed hasn't proven to be all that necessary or effective, at least not on the v6. You won't get the full power potential of the jspec, because of some slight differences in the ecu and the fact that they run 102 octane gas, but you would get close as long as you can get it tuned well.

Like I said, this is all for the KLZE, but I am pretty sure the only problems you would have with the FSZE would be similar. As long as you have a good mechanic do the swap, I think the difficulties would be fairly minor. The only other thing to worry about is going through a reputable company to import the engine, so you can get one with low miles and make sure it isn't damaged during shipping.

That said; the pistons, cams and intake manifold should be the only differences that really add power. If you can get a hold of those for a good price and have a good mechanic to install them, you would be pretty close to the FSZE in power.

You'll probably find a lot more info on probetalk, especially if you search the archive. http://archive.probetalk.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts