Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand why the front speakers have better bass than the rears, or is it just me? Obviously the highs are better due to the in-dash tweeters but I took a look at both, the front and rear 6X8's and found them to be similar.
I need these questions answered from those who has replaced their rear stock speakers...
1) What size speakers will fit the rear?
2) Why is the bass response (or sound quality) sound so mono-ish unlike the front speakers?
3) For those who had already replaced the rear speakers, what did you replace it with? (in full detail please). Does it sound much better?
Thank you very much in advance for viewing this post, a reply from you would be much appreciated...

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
mmmm

i too would like to know this,

Is it possible to just replace the two rears with better ones, without having to replace the amp or wires or anything?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rufnek...

Dude, I was checking Crutchfield's webpage http://www.crutchfield.com
They have tons of speakers for the MX6's rear. You probably heard of this company.
I think I am going to buy one right now...the Infinity Kappa 572.1 cf, the dome tweeter tilts so you get better high response that is separated from the lows...(imaging).
Also take a look at the Polk DX7, Pioneer TS-A6895. Either 5X7/6X8 or 5 1/4" will fit easily. Personally I like the 6X8 idea because it's plain and simple. The associates from Crutchfield told me that the rear factory 6X8's on MX6's are the same as the front except that the rears don't have cross overs unlike the fronts. Naturally, the woofer tries to power the paper cones (reproduce the sound) thus loosing it's own power trying to maintain it's own currents for the lows. He suggests buying the same fit (6X8) only with a 2-way speaker because there is no need for the mids (you can't barely hear it anyway). According to him, from his experience with MX6 clients, they found a huge difference in sound quality overall when replacing the rears with 2-way 6X8's without the need of an amp and without replacing the door speakers....
*according to him, the door speakers are crossed with the dash Tweeters, which I find hard to believe...then again, he is an expert.
Hope this helps man....
-Nate

G

·
I replaced all four of my speakers, but not tweeters. Notables:

1. Although I bought them all at the same time, I replaced the rear speakers first becaues they were much easier to get to. I used Pioneer TS-A5713 5"x7"/6"x8" 2-way Speakers for all four. I replaced the door speakers about two weeks later.

2. It's funny that you mentioned this, because I thought I was just hearing things...yes i did notice that the front speakers sounded a hell of a lot better than the rear speakers (stock), and I was even thinking about returning the speakers I had bought for the front because the stock ones sounded fine.

3. I ended up switching out the front ones anyway because I was doing other work in the interior so I said what the hell. I noticed just a tiny improvement over the stock ones. The rear ones, however, are still giving me problems, even the new ones. For some reason they buzz, and I don't know if it's the speakers or what.

4. I am consequently going to replace the pioneer rears with infinity kappa 5x7's. Hopefully they will sound better. I did no wiring by the way, just used existing stuff.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bulletride.....wicker nickname!

Okay so we're both not crazy.....teehee
So as I said on my last reply, I decided to go with the Kappas too because I trust Infinity's name. I was speculant in buying any Pioneers.....I dunno why, but anyway the Kappa 572.1 cf (I saw at http://www.crutchfield.com) has tilting tweeters which the rep at Crutch recommended because it helps in splitting the two images (lows & highs). I assume you're experienced with all this crap anyway so I guess that's it.
Oh, one question though....you mentioned above that by replacing the factory fronts, you noticed a slight difference? Is that "slight difference" worth the time and expense in replacing them???? And is it true regarding dash and door speakers being crossed?
Thanks

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
hey nte..

those particular infinities are said that they are 5x7 size.. I thought our rears are 6x8... what is the size of them?..

How do I know which ones are better then the stock ones (referring to rear only speakers) are the stock ones crap? just about any aftermarket speaker will give me better sound?

I found with the buzzing, its the actual speaker covers, when ever you put your hand on it while pumping some bass, the buzz goes away, im just considering pulling off the covers and leaving them off. But I still want better sound from the rear...

G

·
Hmm, well to answer some questions,

1. The speakers are 5x7/6x8, with an emphasis on the slash. They usually fit in the same space.

2. The difference in the front speakers was worth the time (didn't take too long at all) but NOT worth the money in my opinion FOR THE PIONEERS. I would assume that the kappas would sound better so I can't really recommend anything. But I will say this, I would have much rather payed 150 for really good rear speakers and leave the front ones the same, then pay 170 for just better speakers all around.

3. I was thinking about putting in some sort of damping gasket or something in the rear speaker box but I wasn't sure what was making them buzz. I was convinced that it was the actual speakers but now i'm not so sure.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
speakers speakers speakers....

ruffneck: I just got home from Art Of Noise (my local sound system shop) and purchased the Boston Acoustic's RX57. I heard the sound quality and wow! The highs were so clear and the bass was tight! I was comparing it to some Pioneer 5 1/4,5x7 and 6x8 (any will fit easily) and to Sony Explodes, Kappas and I found the RX57 the best sounding one. Although it's not meant for booming the whole friggin car but the sound quality by far is better than the rest I compared it to. Basically it is a coaxial 2 way speaker, with Titanium dome tweeters and Poly something woofers. Other types that will fit would be the 5 1/4 component style speakers which takes more time to install because of the cross-overs you must play around with. So I installed 1/2 an hour ago and played the rears only and it sounds so amazing man. Better then the front ones.....well, I mean louder and just as clear. The only problem I had again was finding the right phillips head screwdriver that was very very very short....no luck dude. I had to use my rachet set and luckily it had the Phillips adapter screw. The reason being as you may know is because the 2 back screws of the speakers only has a 4 inch (approx.) clearance to the back windows and the average screwdriver is way longer than that. Even those short stubby carpenter's screwdrivers won't fit. Anyway, I'll stop my blabbing now.

bulletride: I can guarantee you that it ain't your speakers because when the wiring harness in your speakers are loose or if there's a tear in your speakers you'll hear a crackling noise which is consistent in all volume levels. However I believe that it is either your grills or mounts that needs some sealant or filler. I recommend GOOP, it's a little heavier than rubber cement glue and it will seal any gaps or you can even use it to fix up small tears on your speakers. Check the rubber compounds around the speakers and check for cracks or tears.

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
whoa

that there is some heavy ass shit!
frankly im kinda lazy :)

all I really want to do is replace the two rears, it seems the easiest to deal with... so basically i should just get a pair of nice name brand 6x8s and swap them out right?
lemme know

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
size.......

rufnek, sorry i've neglected to answer your first question...
the Kappas 5X7 spec refers to the size of the speaker...the actual mounts are the same whether it being 5x7 or 6x8, I have measured the mounts to be around 7.something X 9.something...i forgot, i'll re-measure it for you. All speakers tend to specify it that way...so for example I can have any possible size woofer given that it doesn't exceed 6" X 8 " (including the mount)
hope this helps you out when choosing your speaker..
did you go to that crutchfield site yet?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ruffnek rudebuoiiiii

the easiest is to find and install are 5 1/4's (5.25). 5x7 or 6x8's are hard to find and if you do find some, the selection is limited. go for 5 1/4!!!
keep in mind:
-2 way speakers (don't really hear the mids on 3 ways anyway)
-make sure the tweeters are dome and not made from paper-poly something...
-coxial type (built in tweeter on top of the woofer)
-there are more 5 1/4 out in the market. unless you plan to buy it from crutchfield where they have tons of 5x7/6x8's but I think claiming a warranty might be a hastle considering that you're buying it online....i dunno bro, ask other people that bought stuff from them and see how they think of Crutchfield's policies....

G

·
I have purchased other items from crutchfield, (home CD player and AR speakers) and have found them quite decent to deal with. As for speaker size, the stock are 5x7, but many 6x8's fit also, as do 5 and a quota. Up to you.

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
kewlkewlkewl

suweeeeet, thanx dude
I think I'll take a look around. Im jusr relieved that I dont have to fiddle with anything except for just swapping out the rears for some better bass sound. Im not lookin to spend to much money over all on the audio. thanx for all your info

l8r

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bulletride......

how did you mount your rear speakers? were they 5 1/4??

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Some friends of mine and my brother installed a kinking system in my car. I went with a complete Infintiy Kappa Perfect system. I went with new tweakers that can as a compent set that my friend custom fitted in my dash where the old factory tweakers used to be. In the doors and back I went with 6 1/2's. I had to by some backing plates that were cut out to hold the speaker in the orginal facotry holes. In trunk I have a Infinity Kappa Perfect 10in sub. and all the spaekers are powered by two Kenwood amps. The installing is easy for the doors and a little bit harder for the back because of the rear window. First take down all the back plastic over the interior of the trunk that is in the passgener compartment. THen if you want to do it like they did, remove everything but the driver seat and steering wheel: trust me it will say time running wires and rca cables. But you need a small pivot screwdriver to remove the factory screws, this takes the longest. Then cut your backing plates following the diagram and install.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I replaced the speakers in my mx6 with the latest alpine 6x8 spreakers. The mid and highs are better, but a problem i ran into was the bass. With just a pioneer deck with 45x4 power, the speakers shook the mounts and various other parts surrounding the speakers. So if you are looking to upgrade your speakers, also consiter getting some sound insulation material and tighten everything around the speakers so no rattling occurs

G

·
As I said before, I put in 5x7's and they were a snap to install. I am probably going to put in some insulation to keep the rattling at a minimum now.

G

·
I got some JL Audio speakers for my rears, they were only $150 and they sound way better than the Infinity Kappas. Anyways, I also got my rear deck insulated with Dynamat, it cost like $30 and it doesn't rattle at all anymore plus the bass is awesome. When I took it to the car wash the guys who were vaccuming out my car thought I had a 10 in the back, and they popped my trunk to see that I didn't.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts