Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i started cheking everything i could think of before taking the head off to change the gasket and well i was doing a compression test and when i took the plug out of cylinder 2 it was extremly hard to remove well i did the test and the compression came out to 108 psi and when i treid putting the plug back in to two it wouldnt go i' am not sure if the cylinder head where you put the plug is striped but threds on the plug it self were stripped i didnt even try another plug i was just fed up with the car for the day so two things i was wondering one i have a a 88 mx6 lx non turbo with a warped head if i get the plugs out of that engine will they work on the gt and 2nd the threads ok a spark plug will strip before the cylinder head it self right?

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
Yeah the Lx Head will work on the GT but the Exhaust valves are diff but still work. If you could get another head go for it instead of the warp head dont know how bad it was over heat.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
yeah, but you should get the new head checked by a machine shop for hairline cracks or whatever, should be about 120-150 to do, sometimes you pay more but you get quality work. where in cali are u

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in tx

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I think you are asking if the spark plugs from the LX will work in the GT, yes?

Well I don't know if they would but why not just get a new set of NGK's for $15-20?

The head is aluminium and is easier to damage threads on than the nickel coated steel threads on the spark plugs.

To repair the threads in your head you need a thread chaser.
I use an old spark plug and cut 2 slots down the threads to help get the hole threads back into shape and clear the hole of any shavings.

A dremmel is the easiest thing to cut the slots with but if you are patient a hack saw blade could do it as well.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the help guys the only reason i'm asking about the plugs is because i changed the plugs on my 88 lx less then 2 weeks before the head when out same with the wires and the fuel filter and so much more it has a brand new distributor cap on it that is like a day old and so many other parts on it i can not even remember but i think i'm going to part out my 88 mx6 lx if you need anything let men know

1 - 7 of 7 Posts