Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so yesterday on the way home from work my brakes started acting weird. when cars off, brakes are stiff. start it up, still stiff. after a little bit of driving they loose resistance and go to floor but still work a little...

yes it has brake fluid. lol.

i was thinking like a vacuum issue or something?? but dont ask me.. :)

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
Sound like the Master Cylinder is bad.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
If it was a vacuum issue the brakes would get heavier (i.e you would have to use both feet on the pedal to stop) the maximum manifold vacuum makes the brakes useable, any leaks and they'll be as hard as a rock.

Has the fluid run out recently, i.e is there a slow leak some where, that could have let fluid out and air in ?

The other thing it can be is dodgy front wheel bearings, if you notice that the pedal goes to the floor, but the second time you press it, its OK....then this could be the issue...and if you notice that as soon as you go around a corner, the pedal goes to the floor again.....its definitely one of the front wheel bearings....

Bearing wobble causes rotor wobble, which pushes the pads apart, which is why the pedal sinks to the floor on the first push, as the gap between the pads and rotor closes up.

how to tell which side needs the wheel bearings without jacking up the car ?

if you go around a left hand corner and the brakes "drop" its the front right and vice versa. the load on the outside cornering wheel will show up a bearing problem.....mind you it could be both.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks ill go test it out right now. hmm i think the fluid ran out a while ago. so like bleeding it should rule that out right?

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
I had a similar problem with my brothers honda a while ago...it was his brake booster.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
turns out very tiny leak in rear left brake line. tightened it stopped leak and brakes work. on the test drive a few times it depressed more than normal tho. so im not sure if its 100% ill have to drive it more

1 - 6 of 6 Posts