Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I thought it was because my turbo has a bad seal and was leaking oil, causing the spark plugs to foul out. sometimes it starts up fine, but, sometimes the starter will just turn and turn and the car doesn't want to fire at all. Well, on a whim last night a friend pulled off my coil wire and stuck it near the engine to see if it was firing. It wasn't. So, sometimes when I'm trying to start the car, it's not getting any spark. But, sometimes it is. :confused:
Any ideas? The coil is new, btw.
I really need some help, my car is getting awfully unreliable lately, and I really need something to drive.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I would suspect a relay or something before the coil then... a relay would be suspect since they wear out. Does this happen all the time or only when the car is cold or warm or???

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was happening any time. Cold, hot, been running, hadn't been running. I replaced my Jay B ECU with the stock one that came with my car. Started right up. I'm not liking this very much. I'll give it a week or two and then I'm hanging someone up by their balls.
I paid good money for that ECU. :mad:

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I have been running Jay's ECU now for 6 months and no starting troubles. Did have some problems with the EGR that were related but I took care of that. I would suspect the same issues wihtout the chip in. We will see.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I'll give it some time before I suspect it's the ECU. But, it's been a day and a half and no starting trouble yet. It may be that the one ECU I got was damaged during shipping or something.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My car had a problem where the engine would just stop running. I would try to start it but the starter would just go and go without any firing. It turned out that the wire going from the distributor to the coil was lose. I don't think that this would apply to you since your distributor is different then mine. But the problems may be somewhat related.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have checked all the connections, and they are good, as are the wires. The wire set only has 5K miles on it.
So does the coil, rotor, cap, etc.
It HAS to be the ECU.
It's been running fine ever since.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, it WASN'T the ECU. The thing didn't start again tonight, the same as it had been doing. The other thing I checked was the wire from the coil to distributor. The connection wasn't great. I pulled the metal thing on the end of the wire out a little further and it started right up. I'll give it a couple of days to see if it acts up again.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yea, it scared me the first time it happened to me. I had just coming off of a bridge when it happened too. If you wiggle the wire when the car is running see if it misses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts