Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hellow to all mx6 owners.
I really want someone to give me some advice on what is going on with my car. (V6, 2.5L 1993 automatic) Whenever I start up the car, after a while the car's RPM's are going crazy, meaning they jump from 900RPM to 600RPM then back up to 900RPM and so fourth. Sometimes the car will actually turn off...And when I drive at low RPMs, or when I accelerate at low RPMs, the engine breaks up or interrupts RPMs(it doesn't smoothly accelerate). When I get beyond 4.5Krpms it runs ok. When I drive on the highway, I get no problems at all also. I changed spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, (I got K&N conical filter), and I also replaced ignition module (made my own ignition module) - even after installing my own ignition module, the car STILL does the SAME thing.
Please give me all the possible problems and what I should check. Thanks!!!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Maybe I can help...

I had that same problem happen to my car when I installed the K&N filter. I would start up the car and the RPM's would jump around just like yours does. And what I found the problem to be was the fact that when I put the K&N in, I accidentally pushed the ball (I don't know what it's called, but it's the smooth plastic concave thing that is right after the K&N filter) in and got it stuck. All that I had to do was "jitter" the "smooth plastic concave thing" around untill it got unstuck. I hope this helps and doesn't cause more trouble for you. But that's how I got rid of my jumping RPM's.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RPM fluxuation

I would check the IRC. Control valves in the intake usually are the culprit.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Have you disconnected the battery recently? On my 95 LS, if I disconnect the battery it sometimes takes a couple of days worth of driving for it to re 'learn' where to idle. It will jump between about 500rev/min and 800rev/min. Then smooths out normally.

Tyson

1 - 4 of 4 Posts