Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay a long story here. i go to NAPA for a washer for the gearbox drain plug and they say that a universal rubber style will work. so i change it with redline and i see a leak. i tighen it more thinking it should crush the washer for a better seal. WRONG. the cheap washer blew apart and it started leaking more. i went and bitched at NAPA and they said sorry we can refund you and give you a new washer but we're not paying for the oil. so f***. i drain it and try to save as much as i can. put in a copper washer and fill it up. still leaks.

here's the big problem: the gearbox drain plug is fine but where it threads into must be whack, because it cannot get tight enough to not leak. how can i fix this? re-thread the damn thing? i would hafta go to a shop for that. someone said NAPA has drain plugs that will re-thread as you tighten them. is this a solution? the damn thing is dripping way to much and i will probably hafta go with cheap sh*t now becuase i mail ordered the redline and you can't mix synthetic with crap.

HELP!!
OPINIONS NEEDED on what to do

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANX FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS @-

well i went with some $6 thread fix and it seems to be working (knock on wood). i had to put in cheaper fluid, but i used Valvoline Durablend semi-synthetic hoping it will be better than regular stuff.

·
Registered
362 Posts
how do you find the durablend? it's impossible to get hold of some full synth gl4 hre in Oz, so i had to go with that and i find it to be pretty good, gearbox feels much better.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so far i don't like the durablend. the redline was so much better. i used durablend 80/90 and it takes too long to warm up in order to shift better.

you can order redline for $7 (US) a quart at

myoilshop.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts