Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am lost as too what to do with the round piece that has the white flat cable wrapped in it, please someone who has done this help me, tell me how you went about rehooking up the horn and where you ran the wiring, i cant see how to use the factory wiring.

mcbride

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
already checked, no help...

i need help so i can get my car back on the road, jorges site doesnt really have any details, and the main pic that i need to see doesnt work.

--mcbride, need help..............

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The removal is straight forward. All you have to do is remove the bolts holding the air bag in place. Then, simply disconnect the horn wires, the cruise control wires and the air bag wires and detatch the air bag unit. After that, it's just a matter of removing screw after screw until the entire steering wheel assembly is removed.

Now, the only thing that was a little tricky was the giro mechanism, (Forget the name) that connects all of the wires from the steering wheel to the dashboard. At first I thought I had the wrong hub or maybe I had to break the wire harness that sticks out OFF. But then, I realized that I could remove it and run the wires for the horn a different way. See the pics below.

Well, after that was removed, I was able to install the steering wheel and hub without any problems. I ran the wire for the horn inside he hub and gave it a lot of slack so that it won't get tied up when turning the wheel. Then, some fine tuning as far as making sure it was straight and nice and tight, and I was all set.
I don't know... if I made it any simpler, I'd be doing it for you. If you're having problems with the wire giro, you have to remove it all together. Then you're going to have some wires hanging out. If you notice the gauge of them, some will be for the airbag, horn and cruise control. The Airbag wires can be removed. Just follow the wires back to underneath the dash and remove the harness. Then with the wires that are left over, one will be for the horn and the other 2 will be for the cruise control. For the horn, what I did was get a lot of wire and wrap it on the inside of the hub loosely. That way when you turn the wheel the wire doesn's lock. then run it to the steering wheel and wire it to the horn button.

It's actually very simple. If you lived near by, I would ask you to come over, it took me like 20 minutes to do the whole thing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
help again

the pic that i need to see on your site doesnt work, it pops up another site, my ? is, you said to remove it, what is "it" the wire harness that sticks out, or the entire circular piece with the wound cable inside that hold the wire harness. this is a touchy process and i need some details i dont wont to screw anything up. also how did you get the wire for the horn through the hub? the factory hub has a large opening for the wire harness to go through so no wire is shown, however the momo hub has no opening for the wire to go through, the only opening is the center hole for the main steering bolt to tighten down. i want it to look professional and cannot find a way to get the horn wire inside the rubber boot of the hub without letting it wrap around the outside of the hub which doesnt look good. maybe if you dropped me your # via email i could give ya a ring and it would be alot easier to talk about what i am looking at. again, my main concern is how to get the wire into the hub without wrapping it around the outer lip.

thanks again, mcbride

1 - 6 of 6 Posts