Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Could someone give me some help on reading my timing? I've never done this before. When I put the light on the crankshaft pulley I see a white mark. I hope that mark is not supposed to be at 10 degrees BTDC. If TDC is 12:00 on a clock my white mark is at aruond 7:00. Am I dong this all wrong?

The underside of the hood says:
10 degrees (yellow) BTDC

Thanks. (93 LS)

------------------------

1993 Mazda Mx-6 Timing Belt Diagram Marks

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
First you need to jump TEN & GND in the diagnostic box, then check the timing, are you doing this ?

When pointng the gun, you can obviously see the timing numbers, you should also be able to make out a line notch in the pully (forget colours for a min) .. check this notch is lined up with 10. OR .. (with the engine stopped of course) use your finger to find the notch on the pully, and mark it with tipex or similar, then check again, you will have now trouble at all seeing it now. Rotate the distributor until set at 10, and you have a idle speed of 650 +/- 50rpm.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Belt is likely stretching at high rpms

Thanks Oddball,

I didn't really know where exactly to look for what scale, but I found it thanks to someone posting FSM diagram. It's not so easy to see as it's mostly covered by dirt, hoses and belts from above. (plus bad eyesight) The mark was 2 ticks to the right of 10 so does that mean 12 degrees? I think that's right. Do you think it needs any adjustment from there?

The main problem I"m guessing with the engine's performance is that the timing belt needs replacing. The belt is likely stretching, things seems to get a bit erratic power-wise above 5000 rpm. Going to change it myself or have it changed is next priority, I guess.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts