Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem with my Temperature Gauge behaving erratically, (gauge will go from in the middle where it should be to maxed out and back again at will) even though I believe the system to be functioning fine. I was told it could be a bad coolant temperature sensor. I went to Advance Auto Parts and they ordered me an AC Delco E1878. When I went to AC Delco parts catalog I was told that part is an AC Delco Temperature Switch/Sender.

What do I really need? Do I use what they gave me, or do I actually need a Coolant Temperature Sensor? I'm confused as hell here. Does any of this even make sense? Please help!

·
Registered
43 Posts
you need temp sender it works by the neg to the guage the one you want should have 1 wire should be in the head or neer the head or block ,the hotter it gets the less it resists allowing the temp needle to move ,so if yours is moving up & down sender is faulty ,remove the wire & short to metal on the engine needle should go too max hot thats the 1 you change ps what cr do you have ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply man! I changed the brass plug in the block which I was told is the sender and it didn't fix it. The guy at Advance Auto told me it was the sensor. In the Haynes manual it calls it the sender. Although when you look at the part online it has a plastic casing whereas the one I bought does not. There is much contradiction here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ohh, I have a 95 MX6 with the 4 cylinder engine and manual shift. I think that's what you were asking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts