Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need info for jeff hoffmann from megasquirt.
Thanks for the enquiry Stephen—I’d be glad to help you find a system that will meet your needs, and the MegaSquirt can do exactly that, 400hp, 1000hp, the MegaSquirt won’t be the limitation I can promise you that! First we need to determine if the MegaSquirt or MegaSquirt-II is compatible with your stock ignition system. Here are some questions I need the answers to in order to be able to assist with this—I’ve actually got another FE3 owner looking into some of this right now but he’s having trouble finding the crank angle sensor and crank wheel info which is the most important part. If one of you can help me come up with this it will benefit both of you… You can find this information in service manuals for your car/engine, on message boards and enthusiast sites, or sometimes by tearing into your ride and looking.

1. <LI class=MsoNormal style="COLOR: navy">What type of ignition system does your car run- where is the crank angle sensor (CAS) and what type is it (Optical/LED Sensor? Hall Sensor? VR Sensor?) <LI class=MsoNormal style="COLOR: navy">How many teeth and what orientation does the CAS have? (missing teeth? all teeth evenly spaced?) <LI class=MsoNormal style="COLOR: navy">Is there a distributor? Single/Multiple Coils? Coil on Plug? <LI class=MsoNormal style="COLOR: navy">Rate yourself 1-5 on technical confidence in yourself. 1 being "I can't paint by numbers" and 5 being "I can probably build a car from scratch if I have the right documentation, and I'm resourceful enough to do some research and find some of my own answers." I need to know this as some of the 'less traveled' roads will require you to make modifications that in some cases I haven't performed myself yet and based on this response it will help me to know whether this type of solution is for you or not. I challenge you to 'stretch yourself' a little bit. You won't ever learn anything (about yourself and your abilities) if you don't try to do things that you're not quite sure you can do... and then find that you can.
  2. Are you open to retrofitting a different ignition system such as the Ford EDIS distributorless system if it is determined that the MegaSquirt will not properly (or easily) control your factory ignition system? Many factory systems MegaSquirt can simply take control of, some it cannot. EDIS to the rescue! It's cheap, simple and works great!

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
The FE3 distributor uses an optical/LED signal. Which is and easy and direct hookup to MS. MS should also be able to run the stock ignition system, however I'll be using a crane hi-6 ignition instead.

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
edis is a good option, but tell him the dizzy guts are the same as the dsms, and have two signal wires, one with a slot per igntion event, and another single slot on the other wire determining tdc(or bdc). one(or both?) of the wires require pull up(down?) resistors. then there is a power wire, and a ground wire. 4 in total. i think ms2 could do the dizzy setup with the 4 slot wheel, and msnse could do cop, waste, or dizzy from that wheel.

i'm open to corrections on the specifics, but the basics are correct.

i'm going edis to not have a dizzy because a. i cant fit one (rwd firewall issue), and b. i dont like them.

fred.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts