Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I'm pretty much buying these off a buddy of mine this Friday. He had smacked his probe into a curb at 80 km/h on a bend so the right side of the suspension is slightly damaged. There's only the visible damage in the picture.

Now I'm wondering, is this repairable? Can I not put a crow bar in there and bend it back slowly?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
NOT safe to bend, get a new one. I had suspension damage on one of my mx6's and i swapped the struts (which I thought were good) with my uncle and he said when he went in for an alignment, the guy couldn't do it because the settings were all maxed out, yet wheels were still out of spec... because the struts were bent

·
Registered
954 Posts
look at it this way: u only have to get 2 struts instead of 4

the other one on the right looks bent too but it could just be the angle

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm getting them for 200 bucks, they come with those eibach springs. He's only had them on for about 6 months, the one on the far right is bent a bit, I know I'll definitely need to replace that bent one in the close up.

So it's a matter of alignment (as well as safety of course) that will be my main issue?

I wish someone on here had replacements....

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya it's a pretty good deal, I just hope I don't get shafted for replacement struts.

These illuminas are good though right? What about the eibachs?

·
Registered
418 Posts
The illuminas are the best shock we can buy for our cars... and the eibachs are a sweet spring also!
Its the best spring/shock combo

Reactions: kc-

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats awesome to hear, so I should really pick them up. There's no way of salvaging the far right one? It is a bit bent but it is very minor.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Ya it's a pretty good deal, I just hope I don't get shafted for replacement struts.

These illuminas are good though right? What about the eibachs?
illuminas shouldn't be too much, after everything you still would have saved on that setup. i got my eibachs for 190 and illuminas for 480 so i spent ~670 for mine. i love the eibach/illumina setup, they do what i need to do, decent street and autoX performance.

Reactions: kc-

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's perfect, because I occasionally go on spirited drives through this neighborhood with bendy roads and no stop signs. I like to give her through the turns and I find that the stock suspension is OK but there's still a bit of body roll.

What's a good setting to leave them on, it goes up to 5 right?

·
Registered
954 Posts
I think most people keep them around 3 because the loose settings are a little too loose and the tight settings will rattle your teeth out. It depends on how you want the car to behave.
yeah 3 is probably the best for street driving, anything softer than that will make u feel like ur driving a boat IMO. i've got my fronts on 3 and rears on 5, i set the rears before i installed them and, well u guys know how much room we have in the trunk to access the top of the struts :p

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
got my fronts on 2 and rears on 3. finding the rear is a little stiff when going over speed bumps, arghghh

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So is it better to have it stiff in the rear? Or should I just set the rear to 2 and the front to 3, then install an addco (or awr) rear sway bar?

·
Registered
533 Posts
if you're adding a large rear sway bar (over 16mm) that should be fine for the settings, it'll smooth things out for the ride quality but still be firm in the turns from the swaybar helping.

JACK.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright awesome, Ill have to take before and after pics for you guys. I think I'm one of the only members lowering their car on stock wheels, the flower ones.

Thanks a lot guys!! :)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
heh heh, hope you don't stay on stock wheels for long :)

Alright awesome, Ill have to take before and after pics for you guys. I think I'm one of the only members lowering their car on stock wheels, the flower ones.

Thanks a lot guys!! :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Since our cars are fwd, you really want the front to be stiffer than the rear to minimise understeer. If the rears are stiffer then theres a chance the back end will come out and being fwd makes it alot less predictable harder to control than compared to it happening in a rwd car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts