Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when to get my Wof worrent of fitness for the car and won't pass due to my exsaust pipe had a look and it's rotten

i was going to repair it but thinking of spending the dollars and getting a new one

It's a 1988 Mx6 1.8L would i get much of a HP increase by changing the standed size pipe to a larger dia and get a desent muffler

I don't want noise just a quite ride with a increase of HP what to I ask for when i go to get the pipe done

thanks
kedge

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Dont expect more hp.

You probably won't get any HP from a larger exauhst pipe size. Maybe you'd get 1 HP if you were lucky. Upgrading exauhst really only helps much with turbo cars unless a naturally-aspirated car has a super-restrictive stock pipe size. I would just replace your pipe with the same size it came with, because you said you didn't want more noise.

·
Registered
449 Posts
you sure it doesn't have 2.2L? Anyway, if you mean but rotten, like rusted through you get your torque back when fixing it. I think the N/A have 2" diameter exhaust piping, so it isn't super-restrictive. If you have a turbo car (GT trim) get a HKS cat-back exhaust system.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's had a replacment engine at some time as it still got the wreakers marking on it

this one is a 1.8L 12V motor but it seams to have no go in it i was woundering if i got the injectors cleaned would it make a differance in power going up hills

also if i got the catalitic converter taken out when getting the exsaust replaced think i will go with 2" with a hush muffler.

what did the gdb-8 have in it orginaly if anybody knows

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
kedge said:
when to get my Wof worrent of fitness for the car and won't pass due to my exsaust pipe had a look and it's rotten

i was going to repair it but thinking of spending the dollars and getting a new one

It's a 1988 Mx6 1.8L would i get much of a HP increase by changing the standed size pipe to a larger dia and get a desent muffler

I don't want noise just a quite ride with a increase of HP what to I ask for when i go to get the pipe done

thanks
kedge
1.8?? Where are you located?

·
Registered
140 Posts
In my 6, my exhaust started to rot, so I went out, bought everything from the catalytic convertor to the exhaust, new piping, new convertor, and an OBX racing muffler. (I really wish that I would have bought a resinator also, my exhaust sound is way to loud)

·
Registered
449 Posts
hmm, I'm still really curious about the 1.8L. Are sure you don't have like a MX-5 (aka Miata)??

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would stick with the stock system. I had the pace setter exhaust at one point. All it did was decrease low-end torque! So I put a stock muffler on it. I still have the pipe after the resonator; sometimes It hits the ground going up driveways.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts