Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tires are almost bald so its time for new tires. Right now I have Bridgestone Potenza RE92 (P205/55R15/87V). I have a quote from the local Firestone/Bridgestone dealer of $197 CAN (~120 US). So what do you guys think ? Should i stick with the Potenzas' ??? Or should I change to another tire ? What are some other tires that are decent for my LS ? Thanks

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The tire rack has the RE92s for $107 each, by the way. Of course it's like $10 to get each mounted locally.

I went with Potenza RE910s 205/55R15 on my 95 LS. They're a lot cheaper but only T-rated (118mph) which is no big deal for me because I won't be going that fast anyway.

So far I've been very pleased, but I only got them yesterday. I also put new front struts/mounts/bearings on there. Huge difference.

Tyson

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I had Toyo's and i wont be making that mistake twice. My Dunlops have lasted 2X as long, easily.

Claeren.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I currently use Toyo Proxes T1-S and can say they are rather impressive - they are better than Toyo's FZ4 imho. If you want to stick with Bridgestone, consider the RE-910, which i'm currently using on another vehicle and think they are a superior tire compared to the RE92's particularly in the wet. good luck!

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I'll be following this thread with some interest since my PGT is in need of new rubber. It's currently running 225/50-16 Goodyear GS-C tires, perhaps two seasons old. Amazing turn-in, good ultimate grip and suprisingly good in the rain. Downsides: short life, expen$ive as hell, noisy on the highway (especially now that the wear bars are getting close to the tread surface) and the car is total toboggan in any winter weather heavier than a flurry.

I'm thinking of an upgrade to 245/45-16, if I can find that size in the tire I want (though a 245 on a 7" rim is pretty tight...)

I'm considering:

Yoko A520
BF Goodrich G-Force T/A KDW
Goodyear Eagle HP Ultra Plus

Any other ideas? If these don't pan out, I'll gladly get another set of GS-Cs.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I guess i should clarify. I LOVED my Toyo's in terms of performance, like Mike liked his Good-years. But those tires are also very expensive, especially compared to how long they last. They were V-rated but lasted more like an H or something. I'm not an overly aggresive driver (I drive an ATX for god'sakes) and they only lasted about 35,000km before they were pretty much bald.

Just sharen' my experience with them...
Claeren.

PS - Heres an interesting story I just ran across.

Dunlop, Michelin rank tops in J.D. Power survey
By Nedra Pickler

WASHINGTON (AP) – Dunlop and Michelin tire brands rated highest in customer satisfaction in J.D.
Power and Associates’ annual tire survey, while the Firestone light truck tires dropped below average. Firestone tires sold on new pickups, vans and sport utility vehicles scored just above average before 6.5 million were recalled last year. In the survey released Monday, the Firestone brand ranked below average for both light trucks and passenger cars.

Dunlop rated first among tire brands used on light
trucks, which includes vans, pickups and sport utility ehicles. Michelin ranked highest in passenger vehicle tires for the fourth consecutive year...
...The tire customer satisfaction study identifies product quality as the largest factor contributing to tire satisfaction. Other factors include performance, design and winter traction.

BFGoodrich, Michelin, Uniroyal, Goodyear, Bridgestone and Continental, respectively, follow
Dunlop in the light-truck segment. Yokohama and
General also finished at or below industry average inthis segment.

Pirelli, BFGoodrich, Continental and Dunlop, respectively, follow Michelin in the passenger car segment. In addition to Firestone, brands performing at or below average are Bridgestone, General, Goodyear, Hankook, Kumho, Toyo, Uniroyal and Yokohama.

The averages are weighted by the number of survey respondents who own each tire brand.

This is as seen on www.autonet.ca

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone who responded. Ordered my new set of tires. Stuck with Bridgestone Potenzas but instead of the RE92 went with the cheaper RE910s. Total cost for 4 tires installed plus an allignment is $440 CND ($300 US).
Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
66 Posts
really good survey

VIC BOY
I realize you have already bought yours but,
www.tirerack.com has a really good section where they rated tires by decibels, traction, satisfaction, etc...
just thought others might be interested.

·
Registered
100 Posts
should have gone with BFGoodrich. I got Z rated for 92 bucks a peice.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I also got the Potenza RE910s for my 95 LS. Granted they don't have the V speed rating that the LS comes with from the factory, but I won't be exploring the top speed potential of my car anyway.

So far I'm very pleased with them. They're especially good in the wet.

Tyson

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Against my better judgement (e.g. taking what Claeren said about their lifespan to heart), I just laid out a wad for a set of Toyo T1-S 225/50-16s. They don't come in until Tuesday...

I promise myself, as I do everytime I get new tires, that I'll drive easy on them to try to extend their life but I never end up sticking to it... :sigh:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts