Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1989 GT hatchback 626 that I'm looking at needs new shocks, what would you guys recommend? Replacements from the parting out? Or perhaps something else? I could use some opinions.The guy is selling his car on here, his username is HJS626. Karma to any that help :)

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Most people would go for Tokico struts, coupled with Eibach springs...

As far as I am aware, they dont make an uprated auto adjustable strut for your model.. and a new one from the dealer would be absolutely astronomical in cost...

John

Reactions: Keegan

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'm looking at getting some from someone in my area (stock ones he's parting out). Would this be a route you would advise?

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
The std struts do last a long time, but it would depend on their age and mileage..
They do tend to go soft as time goes on... but Ok if yours are shot..
However, if you are intending to keep the car for a few years, i would recommend new ones..

John

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks. If I get the car and the guy in my area replies to my PM, I'll probably end up putting those on for a year or two so I can pass state inspection, and then down the road I'll upgrade them. Thanks for the help. :)

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
You're Welcome :)

John

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would you say that it's a hard install to replaced them? I'm guessing I'll need a lot of WD-40, but other than that, what other tools should I find? I've never done this before...

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
You will need a set of good quality spring compressors.. cheap ones can fly off... usually taking your head with them :(

Basically, "loosen" the top centre nut.. dont take it off..
Jack up the front, and remove the wheel.
Remove the 4 bolts for the top mount, and the 2 bolts holding the strut to the hub..
The complete unit should come out... take note of the orientation of the top mount... make a mark on it to be sure..

put the compressors on, and remove the top nut.. you may have to hold the shaft with a vice grip type wrench, but put some rags in the jaw, so it doesn't damage it.. especially so with the new one...

take off the spring, rubber mounts etc.. refit to the new strut, once the top nut is back on, you can take off the compressors.... refit the strut back on the car, taking note of the top mount direction.. tighten the 2 bolts at the hub, but only hand tighten the top bolts.. refit the road wheel, and lower the car.. then tighten the top mounts, and the centre top nut on the strut..

if all this sounds too much, have it done by a garage, as your safety is important..

John

Reactions: HHBL
1 - 8 of 8 Posts