Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to see some pics of 17" rims on a first gen. looking into getting a set of 17"s of if you could please post.

·
Registered
26 Posts
you can fit 18's on these cars i've seen it.:E

G

·
take a look in the australian section on what does your car look like - lots of pics - and ALOT with 17's

a few chrome a few silver....

me? mines there with 17" chromies

and capella - i have no problems with 225/45 on 17's

and i know of a sydney mx6 with 18" wheels with 215/40's....

the only drama is with 4ws - your rear inner plastic gaurd - heat it with a heat gun and push it in. theres also a little metal lip near the front edge of the floor pan inside the wheel arch - i used gentle persuasion (read: mash hammer) - works a charm!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Wheel size depends on what struts that you have on the car. Aftermarket have a bit more clearance than stock. AAS struts had two versions; with the newer version allowing much more clearance.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
yeah, i want the H&R springs but i didnt have the cash when tire rack were down to thier last set....damn them. anyone selling them? anyone?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how much of a drop does H&R springs give you? becasue my intrax spings give me like a 1.75 drop! anyway.. back to MY TOPIC on pics of 17's...ahemm.....please post pics for me.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
CapellaGTS,

If you have 88-89 AAS struts you will have a hard time with 205/60R15 tires. If you have changed the struts to aftermarket; or purchased struts from the 90-92 MX6 then you will be able to fit larger tires. They modified the struts to allow for more room.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
James, I dont know if it would be that much of a problem. We tried my factory rims, fitted with 205-60-15's on Kenny's 89 LX with original AAS struts, and they fit fine.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I know mine also has 205/60R15's on them, but when I took off the tire I could tell it was rubbing. You can tell if you have the original 88-89 struts if they don't have drain holes in the lower spring perch. The new ones have water drain holes.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
very phat!!!

ok guys get me some more pics and tell me where that kit came from on that orangish red 6! i like it! and what kind of rims should i get??

·
Registered
470 Posts
try this link here...www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
you enter in your old tire size and the tire size you want and it gives all diff kind of info back even how it will affect you speedo reading. Manifest, my tires are 205 50 16 which means your tires diameter is .7 inch bigger than mine, so we must have the same struts. im lucky that mine dont rub (just) thou.
Madrox, if your car is black then i would recommend the AME XR5 the same (or similar to the red GT) but i think they only suit black cars. other than that i personally like really spidery rims with large diameter and 5 or 6 slim spokes with a small hub. ive seen some with a matt black finish on parts of the hub to make it look even smaller which is quite a nice effect. hope ive been helfpful:)
p.s my standard wheels were 195 60 15 so the rolling diameter between standard and what i have now is almost identical, so the struts are nearly rubbing even as standard

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Cappella, is an '87 Capella GTS identical to a 1st generation MX6? I have yet to see you post a picture of one, so I'm curious. If your car is completely different than an mx6 what's the use of us knowing if your tires rub or not?

·
Registered
470 Posts
yeah its the same. its just a jpec mx6 with diff engine thats all and other things like bumpers cos we dont need the oversized 8mph bumpers like in usa. looks the same, same int etc but rhd. cant post any pics cos i have no scanner or digital camera etc my sister might be able to scan some pics at her work and then send them to me but i havent figured out how to post pics that dont have a www address

1 - 20 of 20 Posts