Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok you guys know me, I'm still lookin for that MX6. I think I've found one, but it has some things I want to run by you guys to see if there are any red flags.

It has a few minor problems, like the power antenna motor doesn't work and the driver side window doesn't roll down.

It also has some potentially major problems. The clutch pedal doesn't return all the way when you press it down. It will "click" back up if you pull it with your foot, but otherwise it just returns a little way. The clutch itself seems to be working fine. It also needs new axle boots - the old ones are torn.

There is oil in the plug wells so it probably needs valve cover gaskets, can anybody tell me how much those are in parts? (and possibly labor to install them?) I noticed the tube going from the air intake funnel-looking-thing to the filter box was detatched from one end. I played with it but it was almost as if it didn't reach. Could this be a sign of some other type of problem (something screwy in the engine bay?)

The last two things are the engine maint. light was on all the way driving the car to my mechanic, but turned off 5 minutes before we got there. I didn't pull any codes though so I probably can't do much about that at this point. I also heard chattering coming from the engine (after it was warmed up). I've read that that can be normal but I was wondering could it mean a potential problem?
The car ('93 LS/5 spd) has 129,000 miles on it and from the looks of the service records has been well maintained. Asking price is $5000, I've got him to $4500, but what do you think a car like this is worth? Should I not even bother?

Sorry for the long ass message, but it's getting harder and harder to test drive these things and then give them back to their owners ;)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
get the price down, the cars has lots of miles, try to get it down to about 4000. then u get the work it needs doen to it.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
It's good that you know what's wrong with the car. What you can do is go back there and name all of the things that you can see are wrong and will need fixing to the salesperson or whoever. Then, tell him that you'll give him $4000 right there on the spot for it, if not, don't take it. The car has too many miles and you'll probably have to dump another $1000 to $1500 in parts and labor to get the maintenance back up. Time belt, water pump, puleys, gaskets, etc.....

I would say ate the MOST $4000, if not spit in his face, take a dump on his shoe and call him a fruitcake.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts