Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about buying another 6 to replace mine and found a cheap(er) one in my area.

It seems like it may have had an engine swap as the valve cover doesn't quite look right for an '88 6. The owner (for 4 weeks) says he thinks it is the original (but I don't put much stock in that...).

Thoughts...?

I basically would like any suggestions as to why an engine with that valve cover would be in a 6...did they actually have 'Ford' on some of them? Mine surely said 'Mazda'...

And are these stock rims for any MX-6 model (LX or anything)?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
well first off i would be wary of that engine. i looks like the valve cover(not that big of a deal) or the head gasket(mondo deal) is leaking all over the engine.

the valve cover may just have been replaced but no to my knowledge there were no mazdas rolled off the Assembly line with ford badgeing

rims are not mazda. what size are they?

·
Registered
730 Posts
At the very least the valve cover has been swapped, if not the whole engine. MX-6's said Mazda, Probe's said Ford.

Those rims are certainly not stock. Some sort of BBS or BBS knockoff.

Only the ultra-rare Infini MX-6 had BBS rims.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
that ford plate is held on by only 2 screws. ive seen quite a few probes wearing the mazda version also. just means someone swapped it at one point.

and those rims are OEM rx7 vert rims. not rare at all. every rx7 convertable had them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where would engine codes be and what would let me know if it was a PGT engine versus an MX-6?

Are there any other subtle differences to the engine that would signal whether or not this is a PGT engine or a 6?

·
Registered
730 Posts
On the bottom of the block, the side next to the firewall, closest to the oil pump, is the VIN tag. If the tag starts with 1Y, its a Mazda engine, and should match your VIN if it wasn't swapped. If it starts with 1F, its from a Probe.

And if it actually came out of an early 88, it'll start with a J...

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
the vin number isnt that accurate, most 626's had jm (japan) and so did the 4ws models. some models were imported more than others.

·
Registered
657 Posts
On the bottom of the block, the side next to the firewall, closest to the oil pump, is the VIN tag. If the tag starts with 1Y, its a Mazda engine, and should match your VIN if it wasn't swapped. If it starts with 1F, its from a Probe.

And if it actually came out of an early 88, it'll start with a J...
Probes are 1Z not 1F

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
if the vin has a 1y its an american built 6 and if it has a jm its a japan built 6. more than likely the motor ws replaced and thye just happened to get one from a probe. i have seen this many times!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts