Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I have a 93 Mazda mx-6 with an automatic and in November of 2008, I decided to spray off my engine with a pressure washer. Something got wet and would not run. The spark plugs were soak in water so I replaced my spark plugs and got it to run. I drove it around and when I got home it started sputtering and died. I could not get it to run again so I check the spark plugs. When I pulled the plugs they were again black. Replaced the plugs again and it started up. This time the car would not rev over 3000rpms. I talked to a buddy of mine and he said I need to replace the distributor. Went to AutoZone and picked up a new distributor. When I bought the car from a private seller he told me, "The distributor is out of a 95 Mazda 626" Sine the plugs to the distributor were already changed to fit the 626 distributor, I bought the same one from AutoZone. Marked the position on the old and put the new one in the same way. Nothing happen. It would turn over but not catch. I took the distributor out and looked it over and noticed the coil was cracked. It has a life time replacement so I exchanged it with another. This time I picked up a new cap, rotor plugs and wires. I got it back in time and running, this time ran really rough. It was timed at 10 before top dead center. I gave it some gas and it shut off and I could not get it to run again. Took a spark tester and have no spark. Took the cap off and the coil is sparking strong and the rotor is turning. My problem now is I have no spark is coming out of the cap. I have a volt meter and reads 0. Is it a ground issue or do I need another new cap? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
if you think you have a bad ground issue, run a jump lead from the neg battery terminal to the engine block and try it.

You should not replace parts like for like that were not originally on the car. its possible you have a OBDII distributor as they were changed in 95, and the place where you bought it from may have assumed it to be so, with it being a 95. I would try your original one if you still have it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts