Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to be painting my 1990 MX-6 GT probably around February, or maybe sooner. I am going to hire someone to do it.
Questions:

1) The car is blue. I'm not really that crazy about the color, but I don't want to have to pay a bunch of money extra to get it changed (door jams,etc..). I may go with a different shade of blue, or maybe some sort of 2 tone job. Any suggestions? Some sort of fade job? Maybe that Lambrogenie blue?

2) I would like to get some sort of ground effects for it. Maybe go as far as a body kit. I plan on taking off all the Mazda emblims, or any thing that tells what the car is. I really liked the kit that SHYVIETGUY put on his 2nd gen.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/mazdaspeed13?d&.intl=us&.flabel=fld1&.src=ph&start=1

To me, that is the perfect type of body work--is there any thing similar for 1st gens? By perfect, I mean to me, it is n't too much change. It doesn't look like overkill, like someone else's LS looked like.

3) Anyone have recommendations as to where in Dallas to get this done?

Thanks

·
Registered
830 Posts
It will be hard to fade into the original color, even when the color is off a little. The best way is to repaint the whole, other is to repaint with the origianl color ( aleast it will look like a new car), or if u don't mind just paint the outside, and leave the rest of inside in diff. color. As for what type of blue to get, there are many choises out there. Viper blue, VW blue, VW vapor color, Lambo color.... best way to choose is to ask for the color chart at the bodyshop and go through them one by one. There are Chromatic paints that will change color if view from diff angles, but they do cost a lot more $400/qt.(you need a least 4 qts) As for the kits, there are no such style for your car, but you can do some search online, or make your own...

Good Luck with your project :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
WOW your MX6 is looking good. I like your rims and your skirt package. Thats a nice ride... I would leave the paint job alone. The car looks good the way it is. My only suggeston to you would be to add side marker lights. but other than that you did a realy good job.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that is not my mx6

But I agree, it is perfect.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
jiffy
Don't do anything crazy and stay away from fades and things.
Here's what I'm kinda planning to do:

On our cars there's a little crease in the body (above the fender bulges and below the window line) that goes all along the side, bending up in the rear to form the crease/rear edge of the trunk. You should paint everything above this line (not trim of course) a different color like silver or maybe a lighter silvery blue - white may also work. Whatever color it is it should be lighter than the blue your car is already. This way the darker blue on the bottom will seem to weight the car down and give it more presence/substance and a "meaty" look. This is a design principle.
You'll run into a bit of trouble in the front because this line fades out disappearing into the front corner of the quarter panel above the turn signal lense. When you mask this line off, instead of making it run straight into that corner above the lense it should curve slightly and follow the soft crease the goes along the front edge of our hoods, above the lights and grill. Look at your car while reading this if you can and hopefully that will make sense.

Basically our cars were designed to be painted a single color; they have a lot of teutonic influences (look at a 626 hatchback GT next to an Audi 90 4 door hatch of the same year) and I bet you don't see many two-tone BMW's around! But if you want a non-stock type of paint job then I think this is a tasteful and fitting way to go. Also I thought of it so I am biased.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Actually, when I repaint my car next summer, all I'm gonna do is add some pearl in the paint to make it more of a rainbowie color. I'm only doing this on the outside of the car, not the door jams or inside the hood. The color won't be that different so you won't able to tell. My body man showed me a Civic that they just did the same thing to. if you look at the car , you can't tell it's 2 different shades. you can tell when there's light shining on it and stuff... it looks really nice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts