Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on what could be a life changing decision.

I've suspected for some time now that my girlfriend has been cheating on me. The usual signs. Phone rings, I answer, someone hangs up. She started going out 'with the girls' a lot recently although when I ask which girls it is always "Just some friends from work, you don't know them". I always look out for her car coming home but she always walks down the drive although I can hear a car setting off. As if she has got out of the car round the corner. Why? Is it not one of her girlfriends? I once picked her cell phone up just to see what time it was and she went beserk and screamed that I should never touch her phone again and why was I checking up on her.

Anyway, I have never approached the subject with my gf. I think deep down I just didn't want to know the truth but last night she went out again and I decided to check on her. I decided I was going to hide behind my car which would give me a view of the whole street so I could see which car she gets out of. It was while crouched behind my car that I noticed rust around my rear wheel arch.

Should I take it into a body repair shop or should I buy some stuff from the local auto shop and try to repair it myself?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Wow.....way to turn the story around. If it's minor take care of it yourself with a sander and some bondo. If it's eaten through and is really bad than take it to a shop. Sucks to here about your girlfriend. It sounds like your suspitions come with good reason. What happened with that you got me all curious now

·
Premium Member
4,973 Posts
cuJe5ter said:
I need some advice on what could be a life changing decision.

Blah, blah, blah.

Should I take it into a body repair shop or should I buy some stuff from the local auto shop and try to repair it myself?
I was just about to move this to the lounge!

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
i figured its been up here before but theres always a chance that no one's seen it. panther, i was almost counting on this being moved to the lounge. but it would kinda loose the humor if its in the lounge.

no. there is no cheating girlfriend involved...but ironically yes i have rust in my wheel wells. lol

·
Registered
169 Posts
(pretending that there really is a cheating girlfriend)

Ask her to help you repair the rust damage. Ask her to help you on a Friday or Saturday night. If she doesn't have another date, she should be willing!

On the other hand, she might get insulted that you would even ask her to stoop so low as to ask her to work on a car. At which point she would probably dump you in a fit of indignation.

Either way, gf problem solved!

Oh, yes, about the rust--how the hell should I know!

·
Registered
24 Posts
very witty - had me in stitches. my advice is to dump the girl and spend your money on the car. How you approach this depends on how long you want it to look good for. Even the best rust treatments will only slow the rust and it will return within a couple of years. The only way to get rid of it completely is to either cut out the rusted section section of metal and weld in a new one (you could use fibreglass but I wouldnt reccommend it). Alternatively you could give it a good sand blasting to get the existing metal perfectly clean. Neather of these will give you a finish that can be painted straight away so you will nee to fill and flatten the area. This is not so easy on an mx-6 due to the contours of the car around the arches. Finally you will need to match the paint - Take the car to a good paintshop who will mix the paint to match your specific car. If the repair is local then you can fade the paint in with an air brush so long as it is a "flat" colour. this is not always possible if the car is metallic and I would suggest re-spraying the whole wing. If this makes sense, give it a go. If not, put it in a bodyshop.:shrug:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts