Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
check this out

i have a '90 mx6 gt and it started off when the thermostat went out and the car died on the highway. We had to have it towed because it started spilling antifreeze all over.
I found out it was just a hose so i replaced the hose and the thermostat. anyways. i have gases coming out of my radiator reservoir and the car wont keep a steady idle. it constantly goes up and down(rpm).

we figured it was the head gasket so i pulled apart myself found the gasket was fine, but the head was a little warped so we had it milled and i replaced all the gaskets from the head up and put it all back together but it didnt solve a thing. it runs but not well. any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Have the machine shop pressure test the head, I'd bet that it's cracked. Maybe where you can't see it, but, if milling it and changing the head gasket didn't fix it, then it's probably cracked. Bad news :(

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they did a compression test and said it was all out of wack, but they did a valve job and said the compression was fine after that. ??

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the valves make hell of a lot of noise too? dont know if thats anything?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I'm sure it is possible, but wouldn't an aluminum head be resistive to cracking? I would hazard aguess at the head is not straight--even though it has been milled.

Sounds like your whole motor got pretty hot. I hate to tell you (I'm sure you already know), that that is bad.

Best of luck to you man--dam, I feel for you.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Beats me, but, there is a big difference between a compression test, and pressure testing the head. Although, I figure if the head was cracked, the compression WOULD be all out of whack. Do you still have gases in the radiator?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes they pour over into the reservoir and overflow along with hot antifreeze(really hot)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I would do your own compression Check--just to verify what the mechanic is saying--the guages are fairly inexpensive. Maybe an autopart store can loan you some.

Unless the mechanic is your Dad, or someone who loves you.;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have a gauge at my house i'll try it and see what i get

thanks for the help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts