Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so i have 3 autometer gauges for my lotek pillar.

a/f, volt and oil temp.

i need help in how to wire in the oil temp and a/f gauges. i did a search and cant find which wire on the ecu to tap into for the a/f and dont know exactly where to wire in the oil temp gauge...

here are some pics for reference.

again i really hope someone can help as much as possible. leaving for vacation on monday and i need to get all this done tomorrow morning. taking the 6 to florida with me. thanks everyone!!!

oil temp gauge:

a/f gauge:

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Just curious...is there a reason you're adding these to your car? A/F is going to be pretty useless, unless you really want the light show. do you really need to know that you're running around town with 13-14 volts? Is oil temp really going to be showing you anything?

I just want to know what the rationale is behind them.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Better than leaving empty holes in the pillar.

Connect the purple wire to the blue/white wire on the middle plug of the ECU harness. I believe that's a bottom row wire. You can connect to the wire directly above it for the other O2 sensor, but only connect to one OR the other! I forget the other's color, but red/yellow comes to mind offhand.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im adding them to the car coz i have them laying around. i got the lotek pillar back a few yrs ago on a bulk buy i did with a member on here. the last pod, the af gauge, was given to me by a cousin who had it just laying around. and yeah, i thought it would be a waste to just not do anything with them.

as for the 02 sensor, thanks 95pgt! that was great help. now all i need to know is where to connect the oil temp wiring.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
The oil temp gauge appears, from your picture, to have a sender which you should have gotten with it. If that's actually the case, you need to install the oil temp sending unit and run a wire to the gauge.

Don't worry about the haters. I used to be there. As long as you know they are all pretty much worthless, then you're more than welcome to install them all in your car. As you find a need for different, more worthwhile gauges (ie: oil pressure, boost/vac, EGT, etc) then you can swap those in.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The oil temp gauge appears, from your picture, to have a sender which you should have gotten with it. If that's actually the case, you need to install the oil temp sending unit and run a wire to the gauge.

Don't worry about the haters. I used to be there. As long as you know they are all pretty much worthless, then you're more than welcome to install them all in your car. As you find a need for different, more worthwhile gauges (ie: oil pressure, boost/vac, EGT, etc) then you can swap those in.
yeah man, i know theyre pretty useless but its just as useless if i didnt install them. i think ill sell the oil temp and get myself a oil pressure one. hmm or would it be possible to wire the oil temp gauge to the water temp? where would that be in the ecu harness?? thanks for all your help man i really appreciate it...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just curious...is there a reason you're adding these to your car? A/F is going to be pretty useless, unless you really want the light show. do you really need to know that you're running around town with 13-14 volts? Is oil temp really going to be showing you anything?

I just want to know what the rationale is behind them.
Just curious- do you have a reason to question what someone does with their own things?

I just want to know what the rationale is behind your post.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just curious- do you have a reason to question what someone does with their own things?

hey man. it honestly is okay. i mean, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

to answer some of his questions, the gauges were laying around and i just wanted to install them rather than waste them. having the "light show" i thought would be fine and i thought it would add a little pizazz to the interior of the car. running around "knowing im at 13-14 volts" i feel is pretty important as i didnt know my alternator was failing until my radar detector that has a built in volt meter was showing 9v running through the car. so yeah, id say thats pretty important. the oil temp will tell me the temp of the oil in the car. useless? id say so. but like 95pgt said, its better than leaving an empty hole in my pillar.

regardless of what people say, i opened a thread and i got the answer i needed. hating or not the job was done... thanks for all the answers everyone!

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts

If it's posted, I'm going to ask questions.

hey man. it honestly is okay. i mean, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

to answer some of his questions, the gauges were laying around and i just wanted to install them rather than waste them. having the "light show" i thought would be fine and i thought it would add a little pizazz to the interior of the car. running around "knowing im at 13-14 volts" i feel is pretty important as i didnt know my alternator was failing until my radar detector that has a built in volt meter was showing 9v running through the car. so yeah, id say thats pretty important. the oil temp will tell me the temp of the oil in the car. useless? id say so. but like 95pgt said, its better than leaving an empty hole in my pillar.

regardless of what people say, i opened a thread and i got the answer i needed. hating or not the job was done... thanks for all the answers everyone!
I wasn't 'hatin', just asking why. For your N/A, I would go with an EGT, oil pressure and voltmeter. :)

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
I gotta call you out SIMPLY because I am uber bored at work.

Edit - :D
Since he IS going to be going using them, just thought I'd toss in what my thoughts were on useful ones :p

Oil Pressure and Voltmeter were stock in my 78 Z.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts