Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1993 Mazda Mx-6 4cyl and i need to replace the Catalytic converter. Dose anybody know a site that sells inexspensive catalytic converters or dose anybody know how much a converter cost if bought from a dealer without installation. If you can help thanks..

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
you can get one form a muffler shop, they have them. probaly about 45 buck or maybe a DynoMax, one i thought about getting one. later

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in Virgina and yes i need one the person i bought the car from never changed the converter and needs to be replaced its making all sorts of ratteling nosies, it needs to go. If a converter cost about $45 thats real good ill look into that thanks. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
babeppt112 said:
I live in Virgina and yes i need one the person i bought the car from never changed the converter and needs to be replaced its making all sorts of ratteling nosies, it needs to go. If a converter cost about $45 thats real good ill look into that thanks. Thanks for the replies.
Don't be too quick to replace that converter. That rattling may just be the heat shield on the outer shell come loose. If it rattles at certain RPM ranges and the rattle sounds tinny and light-metallic, it's almost certainly the shield.

Converters aren't typical "maintenance" items like O2 sensors or timing belts. If the car is kept in a good state of tune, the one bolted on at the factory should basically last as long as the car does (within reason...) When one goes, one of two things basically happens:

- the inner material breaks down and blocks the exhaust stream, resulting in sever loss of power. This can happen if the converter overheats due to raw gas entering it from a poorly tuned motor.
- the material becomes contaminated and does not provide catalysis action, resulting in high emission levels. This might happen if the engine is burning oil or leaded gas is used.

If it's just the shield, you can rip it off yourself and spend $0. If the converter really has failed internally, then you should think about the replacement one.

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
hmm

What about a rotten egg smell, is that the catco? if not what could it be?!

Thx

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Re: hmm

Rufnek69 said:
What about a rotten egg smell, is that the catco? if not what could it be?!

Thx
Rotten egg smell is a clogged cat. Though it's not recomended due to emissions reasons, you can always either gut the excisting cat or get a test pipe and install tat in it's place. If not, you can spend the $150 i spend and get yourself a Random Technologies high flow cat.

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
intresting

I seem to only notice the egg fart smell maybe one out of every 3to4 times i get out of the automobile, sometimes it smells like toast... thts right toasted bread (strange) can this cause any probs? do you recommend I take care of as soon as possible or what?

sorry babeppt112 for kinda raping your thread here...

Cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what is the site for random technoogies or where can i get a random technologies high flow catalytic converter. Please post sites where i can get it thank you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts