Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my car and already I am starting to regret it.

So it started like this:
I go on craig's list last month and find a 1988 MX6 GT for sale. I call the guy and get the info and travel out to bumfuck Maryland to see it. I'm impressed and I decide to take a chance and buy it for $2100. I thought it was a good deal considering it came with a brand new in the box turbo from ford (VJ11). Little did I know that all hell would soon break loose. I get the car home and i know it's gonna need brake work. As it turns out i need front calipers, pads and rotors and rear pads and rotors. I get the parts and go to my house to start the job. I start with the rear since I plan on bleeding the brakes when I'm done and you have to start with the right rear in the bleeding process. The caliper comes off and I start running into problems. In order to get the rotor off you have to undo a spindle nut! What the hell is this? It's not a god damn heavy duty truck or something, it's a fucking mazda. I run to the auto parts store and get the twenty plus whatever millimeter socket to get the nut off. Come to find out, I'm gonna need new wheel bearings in the rear and I will have to pay to get them pressed in. Also required is to knock the old studs out of the rotor to which they are PRESSED into and knock them into the new rotor. Jesus Christ! Can anyone tell me what in the hell Mazda was thinking when they came up with this design? After TEN hours and $800 in parts alone, I finish the brakes and they work great. Don't think I'm one of the guys on here that doesnt have any automotive experience, I am a very competent mechanic. The brake job was just the tip of the iceberg. I decided to replace the turbo with the new one i purchased from the previous owner. I had to special order all of the gaskets from mazda and I payed for the express delivery, but somehow I didn't receive the parts for two weeks. By the way, the Mazda parts people are the dumbest fucking incompetent assholes on the planet! I've received wrong parts, no parts and everything in between that you could imagine. I've actually been told by a parts person that the part i needed was in stock at the dealer and upon arriving to pick it up, told i had to drive to another county to pick it up in rush hour. I wanted to take the guy's head and put it through a brick wall. So after an eternity of waiting for parts, I finally get the opportunity to install the turbo. The install wasn't bad at all, it was actually quite easy, but somewhat pricy for all the gaskets. If i haven't mentioned before, this car has quite a bit of modifications done to it. Everytime I have to replace a part, I have to buy a Mazda part and modify it as to fit the other parts that have been modded because of the poor aftermarket support for these cars. EXAMPLE: I discovered a vacuum leak in the throttle boot (common among these cars) it was cracked at the bottom where it connects to the intercooler pipe. The car has upgraded intercooler piping and I had to dremel out the new Mazda $100 boot that i had to wait a week for just to accomodate the bigger pipe. I guess overall what I'm trying to say is "Don't you guys get sick of all the shit you have to go trough to fix your car?" Information is never even available on this forum most of the time. In 75% of the posts that I have read, arguments are more prominent than information. It is RIDICULOUS!!! Don't you think that instead of bitching at people for asking questions, you should probably help them out? I mean this is a forum and a forum is designed to spread information amongst people with a common interest. I'm not posting this to piss anyone off, I just think the forum would function better if people didn't go off on someone for asking a question. The most common thing I see is when people say USE THE SEARCH BUTTON! While the search button can be very helpful, sometimes you can't find all of the information you need when you search. Think of it this way, It takes longer to type a post to degrade someone for asking a question than it does for you to help them out by placing a link to information that you think may help them out in your post. Again, don't mean to piss anyone off, just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
good rant :) but for most of the parts, you can go to the ford dealership and get about a ~20% discount on the parts....just tell them you have a 88 probe gt.

but trust me....after all the work...you'll love your mazda and shut up :D hahaha ;)

·
Registered
320 Posts
yea it does get annoying. i have done a whole tranny swap and it ended up needing all new brakes, axles, hubs, bearings. I have spent over $1700 with a part time job. But there is one thing you have to remember this car is 17 years old. It is gonna have problems. To bad they got dumped at the same time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts