Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, sorry for posting this, I looked thru your FAQs but it simply didnt have my answers.

I need to know common problems of the MX6, first, second gen. I also need to know what kind of motors, with the model code, (GT=KL V6). Stuff like that. I also need to know the release date of the MX6 1g, MX6 2g, Probe 1g, and Probe 2g, also when the last production was done, and any other car that took after this car, such as the 4dr 626?

Thanks for any info guys...sorry to be a pain. I just dont have the time to look thru 50 different forums to find 1 thing you know.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
ludesrv said:
Hey guys, sorry for posting this, I looked thru your FAQs but it simply didnt have my answers.

I need to know common problems of the MX6, first, second gen. I also need to know what kind of motors, with the model code, (GT=KL V6). Stuff like that. I also need to know the release date of the MX6 1g, MX6 2g, Probe 1g, and Probe 2g, also when the last production was done, and any other car that took after this car, such as the 4dr 626?

Thanks for any info guys...sorry to be a pain. I just dont have the time to look thru 50 different forums to find 1 thing you know.
well i can't tell you everything but i thought i might try to help with some 2nd gen info.
the v6 was called a KL03 or widely known as a KLDE it has 165 hp and 165 tq. This is the american and european V6. The KLZE was only introduced into japan and has 200 HP and 165 tq.
Common problems with the 2ng gen V6:
Rear calipers can seize up (can easily be fixed)
The CV-boots tend to go on a lot of the regularly (once a year kinda thing)
The automatic transmissions are junk and commonly need to be repaired or replaced.
I've recently been hearing more about the struts for the trunk lid bending or seizing causing the trunk not to open easily.
The 2nd gen mx6 was released in 1993 (not sure of exact date) and was prodcued until 1997. A stock 2nd gen v6 mx6 with an average driver can get roughly a 15.7 out of it (exceptions arise where low 15s are reached and even high 14s as was recently posted)

Don't quote me on this, im sure others can correct me if im wrong.
I think the second gen I4 motor was called the KFDE and the j-sec I4 was called KFZE but i may be wrong with that, and im not sure about hp/tq numbers.

hope i have helped some.
David

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Not bad David, but I do have a few things to add and a couple of corrections. ;)

The first gen ran from '88-'92 and the 2nd gen from 93 to 97, though the 2nd gen was released as a '92 model overseas.
Also, the 4cylinder motor found in the first gen is called the F2, this engine came in the LX model. The turbo GT model featured an F2T engine.

As for the second gens, the 4cylinder motor found in the RS model mx6 is called the FS01, and the v6 is known as the KL03 or KLDE in the states, though a higher horsepower and higher torque engine was produced in japan-spec cars (which were sold in England, Australia, and other countries as a "j-spec" model). This engine is called the KLZE, and produces better power through the use of a better flowing intake manifold, and higher compression (10:1 vs. the 9.4:1 of the KL03).

Oh, one cool thing to note is that the 2nd gen mx6 was the first foreign car made in the united states to be considered a domestic, because over 75% of it's parts are made here in the US.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts