Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after some hard saving i finally managed to purchase a set of Tokico Illuminas 2 weeks ago and they arrived in my lap today:) with plans to have them installed by tomorow night. Now my question is in regards to the optimum damper setting. Iam simply after the best setting that will provide the car with the most neutral handling characteristics. I have a rear strut tower bar btw.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
depends on what you want. I have my fronts on 2 and my rears on 3. Lots stiffer than stock, but I find that it's still comfortable and works well when i need to take a corner. I had both on 3 before, but i found whenever I went over speed bumps on 3, the front seemed pretty harsh. i'm also lowered on eibach springs though. you going with stock springs or lowering springs?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have never seen tokico's designed for 4WS.... did you manage to find some? if so where!!!!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just bought some 2 weeks ago and installed them tues just gone. My god are they good! Ive been speaking to a guy in Sydney whos been rnning them on his mx6 for over a year now with no 4ws issues. So i figured this whole tokico 4ws thing is just a myth and decided to just buy some! None of the monroes are designed for 4ws and neither is anything else. The only shock that specifies 4ws is the kyb's and there only going to last with stock springs.
The tokicos had no fitment issues at all. They slipped in perfectly. For the record. This 5 way adjustability damper setting is soooo easy to use and makes for an obviuose difference between settings.

·
Registered
954 Posts
i have my front set on 3 and rear on 5, i have the 626 rear sway bar, rear strut bar and pro kits. i don't mind the stiffness on the street and when i used to autoX, the back end occasionally liked to come out.

bmx: how do u go about changing the rear settings ? i had set mine to full stiff before i installed them and haven't touched them since--i've tried but it's a pita to get in to adjust them.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
lambera suggested to put them on 3 since it's a pain, so i left it on 3 in the back. you can always use a little razor blade or something thin to help switch it. I don't switch it

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
raising the rear stiffness increases oversteer and isnt recommended. Iam trying to have mine so the front is only 1 setting stiffer than the rear to combat the natural understeer of the car.

change the rear using a butter knife...works for me

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
hrmmmm

having them for a year isnt really the issue

shocks not designed for 4ws - ie cant rotate - will wear a lot faster than ones for 4ws. tried and proved by various 4ws owners.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I figure iam only keeping this car whilst iam in uni - 2 more years. So its no big deal if your are actually right. I dont believe to many ppl in aus have actually bought them and know from personal experience that they dont work. Its all just hear say. Some guy probably wrote about his concerns years ago and its just become lost in translation and resulting in what we think is fact now. Not to mention that were all pretty ignorant when it comes to 4ws anyway. Although know one admits it.

Theres also the 4ws forum where guys in america have these shocks installed, and havent reported issues.

All iam concerned with is that my car is driving better than stock with no issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts