Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, today my new struts arrived and guess what, two LH struts and no RH side. The box was correctly marked. Not going to put them on till they are right so at least one of them is going back.

Will keep everyone posted on the outcome.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Someone at the ford factory was on crack that day....

You should've gotten 2 rears, since they're the same. 1 left front and 1 right front.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
opps, I edited the message. I ment to say that I didn't get the RH side one. The rears are fine. Looks like more than one box was mislableled like yours.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
How much did you guys spend in total for a full set of AAS struts? From the Ford Parts Network right?

I'm thinking of sending my car "back to it's roots" and sticking the AAS back on. Good thing I still have all the motors and computer.
The KYBs just aren't cutting it with the Eibachs.

Do you mind posting the part numbers again?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are the part numbers; there is an order behind mine on hold because of the last two orders going on with two LH sides and no RH fronts.

AM-97-G Genuine Ford rear shock $ 63.99 ea.
AM-151-G Genuine Ford RH front strut $ 63.99
AM-158-G Genuine Ford LH front strut $ 63.99

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yo, Jimbo...

Are you planning to install your struts in combo with OEM or aftermarket springs?

I've got a set of H&Rs in box waiting for new struts...

I was thinking of KYBs at $55 each, but if the OEM adjustables won't be disintegrated by the lower springs, I'd certainly put up another $8 per.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I am going to use H&R's on mine also. These springs and the stock struts work great together. Should get almost 100K out of the stock stuts also. The AAS shocks are quite good for an OEM strut.

I have test driven this setup on 2 different cars and it is real nice. The soft is now about the same as the sport mode and the sport mode is now performance mode.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Turbobink said:
Yo, Jimbo...

Are you planning to install your struts in combo with OEM or aftermarket springs?

I've got a set of H&Rs in box waiting for new struts...

I was thinking of KYBs at $55 each, but if the OEM adjustables won't be disintegrated by the lower springs, I'd certainly put up another $8 per.
Dude. Trust me. You DONT want the KYB's with the H&R springs. That's what I have and it sucks. The struts arent stiff enough for the springs and tend to bounce a lot. Definitely get Tokico blues, even though they're like twice the money. Either that or just go with a new set of AAS struts which are stiffer than the KYB GR2's.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I am being told to ship the one mismarked RH strut back. They say Ford is aware of the problem and they are expecting replacements on 6/25/01. Will see.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I can second the opinion that KYBs aren't much good for stiff aftermarket springs. I'm not knocking KYB as I think the product is quality, but it just wasn't intended for the GT or any MX-6 with Eibachs or H&Rs or whatever.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Yeah I'm sure with the stock springs they work fine, but they're just not meant to handle an aggressive spring rate.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Wow, I'm real late to this thread, but where are you guys ordering the AAS struts for that low a price!?!?!?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
www.fordpartsnetwork.com

Ford has always had a better price for these struts than Mazda. It seemed for a while that you could not get them anymore; but Ford seems to have them available again and these is one of the discount ford parts dealers.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've had them on my car for 2 or three weeks now. :) I really like them a lot. I find that I will actually use the AAS controls now. I am now thinking of getting the GT sway bars form the local junk yard. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts