Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
' 89 PGT

So here's the story...IR went on my alty..no big deal, i'll get a new alty.

So as im sure you all know, getting that sucker out of the engine bay was FUN! :tdown:

New belt and all that jazz too.

Belt was squeeking this past week, wasnt sure why...checked the tension, seemed okay..1/4" deflection..

Last night...belt blew :( and it decided to take part of my AC/PS belt with it.

Why would a brand new belt blow?

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
Sounds like it was to tight or the pulley is damage and is causing the belt to hit on the pulley.

·
Registered
283 Posts
did you go back and get the belt after it "blew" off? did it shred off or just suddenly snap? When I had my old alternator I was driving home one day and it sounded like my belt just snapped and I barley made it home before she died. The belt snapped because I had it too tight. However, if it shredded off that would indicate that there is a problem with the pulley or the belt alignment...

I would buy a new belt, put it on and double check the tension. Start 'her up and turn your heater and lights on. if it squeals like a stuck pig, id tighten the belt. If not, drive it and see if it happens again. If it does I'd take the alt back out and look at the pulley. I know gettin an alt in and out of there is about as fun as eating tacks, but 2 belts broken would indicate a bigger problem....especially if when you were wiggiling the new alt into position (trust me, lol, i know...) you could've hit on something that could have chipped the pulley, which would cause it to eat up belts...

just some thoughts.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The belt was gone by the time I got home and checked. So I really couldn't say for sure, but I would say it just broke. Is there a good way to check for pulley alignment? i.e. alternator and crank pulley alignment.

·
Registered
234 Posts
You should not need to align anything. if your alternator bracket is fine than it shoud only be able to bolt up aligned.

Could be a defective belt. Also check to see if the alternator pulley is wobbling when you spin it. Could be a bent shaft as im sure you bought a cheap reman. ( I did and its working fine).

Would help if you had the belt because you could see if its frayed or just broken.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I would say belt was too loose and that is why you heard the squealing. New belts sometimes need to be rechecked for tension after a few miles of driving. Put on a new belt drive a few miles. Then retighten. Squealing usually means a loose belt. While it could be the pulley and such but if the pulley was not spinning then your charge light would have been on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts