Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a long time car guy, but new to mx6.com

I recently bought a '94 PGT that I'm setting up for autox and HPDE events. I've been doing autox since 1998 and HPDE since 2002, and I've had the privilege to own and drive some interesting stuff over the years.

I had a '93 PGT for 5 years after college and loved it. After spending way too much money on a 944 recently, I decided to return to my roots and pick up another PGT for my budget track rat.

The car is a 2-owner with 133k miles. The 2nd owner had the car from 1996 to 2009 and did the lions share of maintenance himself. The car is very clean, runs nicely, and should be a good starting point for a track car. The rough plan of modifications is as follows:

- custom coilovers made with circle track threaded sleeves and Bilstein strut inserts. Spring rates are TBA.
- poly motor mount inserts
- lightweight flywheel
- clutch
- replacement shifter bushings
- camber plates
- poly bushings
- 17x8 wheels
- ReidSpeed Big Brake Kit
- 65mm TB
- Phenolic spacers for TB and IM
- ZE manifold (eventually)
- ebay CAI
- XS power headers
- Autopower roll bar
- Fixed back racing seats and 5 or 6 pt harnesses

Of course, with a 15 year old car, I'm sure I'll run in to some maintenance issues that have to be dealt with along the way, but that's part of the adventure.

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
Welcome to the forum, its nice to see a more seasoned member, compared to the normal demographic for new members.

I have no doubt you have be able to provide valuable information, along with learning specific things about these cars from other member that compete.

Cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum, its nice to see a more seasoned member, compared to the normal demographic for new members.

I have no doubt you have be able to provide valuable information, along with learning specific things about these cars from other member that compete.

Cheers
Thanks for the kind words. When I sold my first PGT in '99, it was a very different world for this community. The first couple of ZE swaps had been done, but nobody was making any power with them to speak of, as the a-spec ECU was squashing most any gains. Ah, the not-so-good old days.

I realize that a 37 yr old guy is definitely not the normal new member demographic, and I guess that's just a nicer way of saying that I'm old :)

There are blessings and curses to the low price of entry for the MX6/Probe. I only hope that the ingenuity of the less "financially advantaged" members will continue to drive innovation. It's not like the Honda aftermarket in here...where you have at least 3 vendors making every part under the sun. MX6 and Probe guys have to do it the hard way!

I plan to put up a build thread on my car once I get it rolling. I know I'm not exactly going to be blazing a new trail, but maybe I can motivate some community members to get out there and join in the amateur motorsports scene.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts